Harley lights

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Harley lights

Post by Robert Luland »

Guys, I need to travel finely into uncharted waters. What are the differences between Harley little marker lights? I see the P47 etc. but have no clue what they fits. The parts book gives a HD number not Guide. I need to score a set for signal lights on one of my 60FLs. As always, thanks for your time, Bob L
4pans1man
Bikes: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Re: Harley lights

Post by 4pans1man »

Bob,

I posted a photo of the lights used on my 60' for turn signals. I'll look, I think I have a factory wiring diagram for them also.

.....Tony
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Bob,
There are at least 3 distinct versions of marker lights. the earliest are the -38 part number used as underseat lights as well as other locations. The mounting bracket is riveted on so that it is in the middle of the light. The -49 Version also has a strap riveted on but it is longer and offcenter so they are sided, right or left. The last version has a hollow threaded post with the wire coming out the post. they are used with the '52 signal bracket as well as many other applications. The ones undedr the seat in the picture are the -49 ones, you can see the bracket is offset. Also, the turn signal lens is the double ring type, the marker light is domed.
Robbie
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Robbie,
Question, did the -38 part number parking lights have any identifaction stamped on the lamp body? I think all of those had the offset bracket rivetted to the lamp body and the "beehive" 2-ring domed lens in white, red, or green.

When the signal lights were introduced in 1950 (-50 part numbers) they all had the longer flat bracket, not offset, and they had the Guide DH-49 identification stamped into the lamp body. The bullet lights were also available with a pedestal mount instead of the flat bracket and they also had the same DH-49 ident stamped into the body.

My '47 "butt" lights under the seat are pedestal type with no marking on the lamp body, but I have no clue what vintage they are or where they came from. Probably an aftermarket accessory from somebody other than the MoCo.

mike
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

The -38 lights have no markings on them. As you can see in the photo, the brackets are all riveted on in the same direction, but since they are centered they just mount upside down on one side to have the same relationship. I've got as box full of various bodies somewhere . If I find them I'll look at more differences.
Robbie

Return to “Electrical”