Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
tcb-1
Inactive member
Bikes: 1950 FL

Another Cutoff Relay Issue.....

Post by tcb-1 »

Gang,
I searched though the past threads but couldn't find the answer, so bear with me.

My bike is stock with a 3 brush generator and a cutoff relay. Up until today, it was starting within 5 kicks and running quite well.

Today I was checking and cleaning the points gap. Since I had the sandpaper, I decided to clean the cutoff relay points as well, then I replaced the relay cover.

I was doing something else and touched the relay cover and noticed it was warm. I disconnected the positive lead to the battery and the lead sparked. I then removed the relay cover and checked to see it anything was burnt, and all looked well.

I replaced the + lead to the battery and kicked until I was blue in the face. After 10 minutes, I decided to see if I had spark. NO!

This bike has been very idiotproof, but I think I did something to her she didn't like.

I am attaching a good pic someone previously took to help with my explanation.

Here's my question. In a normal scenario, after the ignition is energized, what contact is supposed to be touching? If a contact B is in contact when the ignition is energized, will that drain the battery?

I'm recharging the battery now and will attempt to get fire again tomorrow.......
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Re: Another Cutoff Relay Issue.....

Post by FlatHeadSix »

tcb,
From your picture, contact "A" is the ground (-) feed to the "GEN" light on the dash. When the bike is not running, and the ignition is off, it should be closed, This is what makes the "GEN" light come on when you switch on the ignition.

Contact "B" should be open when the ignition is off and the bike is not running. When the engine starts, and the generator starts to produce current, the contact positions reverse themselves; "A" opens and turns the "GEN" light off, "B" closes and feeds the generator current to the battery.

So, take the cover off the cut-out relay BEFORE you try to start the bike and check to see that "A" is closed and "B" is open. (the thin reed and spring should be in the "UP" position). If "B" is closed when the bike is not running and the ignition is off it keeps the battery connected to the generator and it will discharge the battery, in a hurry!

Be careful trying to clean the contact points with sandpaper (not a good idea and NEVER recommended), if you must clean them you might try crocus cloth or something higher than 500 grit, after sanding you also MUST clean any residue off of the point surfaces using something like LectroMoto or other Electronic cleaning spray, then blot both surfaces of the contact points with a CLEAN piece of paper or something that will not leave any additional residue on the point surfaces.

I hope this makes sense and you can salvage your relay.

good luck!

mike
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Long ago, I had a similar experience. I used some sand paper to clean the contacts on my Bosch regulator, (12 volt converted 49 pan) and i accidentally removed the hard coating on the contacts. Afterward, the contacts started sticking together. Lesson learned, I got another regulator and went on my merry way. Sounds like the same problem...mike
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

A dollar bill does an excellent job of cleaning contact points....bosheff
tcb-1
Inactive member
Bikes: 1950 FL

Post by tcb-1 »

Phew! I didn't fry the relay. I guess after everything was said and done, I drained the battery when I accidentally brought the generator contact together.

After a night on the charger, a fresh battery, and making sure that the contacts were clean and tight, it fired right up.

Oh and I really should have used the term "sandpaper" when I said I cleaned the contact with it. I used 1500 grit paper and contact cleaner. But thanks to Bosheff, I'll be using a dollar bill now!!

Thanks everyone for the help!

Return to “Electrical”