Bikes: 1957 FL
1980 FLT
74 FXE
2017 road glide
1971 Bonneville
2021 Ural GU

Turn Signal Flasher: 6 volt

Post by Scrap »

RE: 6 volt 57 FL: The diagram for turn signals in the documentation section of the knowledge base shows a two prong flasher. The parts book shows a three prong. Does it make a difference?
UPSROD
Bikes: 58 FLH 65 FLH 81 FXB 04 FLHRSI

Re: Turn Signal Flasher: 6 volt

Post by UPSROD »

I think the third prong is to hook the indicator light to.
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Scrap,
The kit supplied by the factory did indeed use a 2-prong flasher, when the entire kit was installed on the bike there were 2 pilot lights in addition to the front and rear right and left turn signal bulbs, the pilot lights were wired in parallel to each side.

upsrod is correct, the 3rd prong on a 3-prong unit is for the pilot light. Here's the difference: a standard 6 volt flasher is a #535 and was used on systems that had a SINGLE pilot lamp that would flash whenever either the right or left side of the switch was selected. A #535 flasher should have a marking on each prong: X (power in) L (Load, from the turn signal switch) and P (Pilot, the indicator bulb).

The prongs on a 2-prong flasher are labeled X and L and are the same as the corresponding prongs on the 3-prong. So, you can use either one but if you only have a single indicator light you need the 3-prong.

does any of that make sense? Hope so

mike
Scrap
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1957 FL
1980 FLT
74 FXE
2017 road glide
1971 Bonneville
2021 Ural GU

Post by Scrap »

Thanks for help guys, and thanks to this site for making it so easy to get help.
cdndewey
Bikes: 42 WLC, 47 EL, 53 FLE, 62 FL, 78 FLH

Post by cdndewey »

FlatHeadSix wrote:Scrap,
The kit supplied by the factory did indeed use a 2-prong flasher, when the entire kit was installed on the bike there were 2 pilot lights in addition to the front and rear right and left turn signal bulbs, the pilot lights were wired in parallel to each side.

upsrod is correct, the 3rd prong on a 3-prong unit is for the pilot light. Here's the difference: a standard 6 volt flasher is a #535 and was used on systems that had a SINGLE pilot lamp that would flash whenever either the right or left side of the switch was selected. A #535 flasher should have a marking on each prong: X (power in) L (Load, from the turn signal switch) and P (Pilot, the indicator bulb).

The prongs on a 2-prong flasher are labeled X and L and are the same as the corresponding prongs on the 3-prong. So, you can use either one but if you only have a single indicator light you need the 3-prong.

does any of that make sense? Hope so

mike

Now which is correct and where can I find a 6V flasher for my 62 FL?
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

cdndewey wrote:Now which is correct and where can I find a 6V flasher for my 62 FL?
As I said, it will depend on whether you have 1 or 2 indicator lamps, if you have only a single indicator lamp up on the bars someplace you will need a 3-prong flasher. The common automotive 3-prong is a #535, should be available at any good old automotive parts stores, like NAPA, but there aren't many of those left. the common 2-prong is a #539 (see pic) and should have the "X" (power in) and "L" (Load, from switch) markings on the base next to the prongs.

The flasher kit document in the Knowledge Base here shows the -65 part number kit, it was twelve volts but the text in the instructions tells you how to install it on the older bikes. The flasher supplied in that kit was rectangular and had a tab on it for screw mounting it up under the fork tins, good luck finding one of those in 6 volt.

My '49 pan has a #539 zip-tied and taped up under the fork tin and I do not have any indicator lamp, it works fine.

mike
Attachments
2-prong flasher
2-prong flasher
flasher539.jpg (54.2 KiB) Viewed 861 times
cdndewey
Bikes: 42 WLC, 47 EL, 53 FLE, 62 FL, 78 FLH

Post by cdndewey »

Thanks Mike...much appreciated.

Return to “Electrical”