Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
guitarjac
Inactive member
Bikes: 48 pan

12 volt on the 48

Post by guitarjac »

I had a model 52 genny on my custom 48 pan and just got tired of all the hassle so i got all the parts around to convert to 12 volt system and have a 65a genny to mount(cover was already drilled when i recieved it), my question is......
I have the original genny gear that was pinned on the 52 and it fits the 65a but do i use the deflector and the spring or do i just tighten it up with the nut or what?
thanks guys
jack
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: 12 volt on the 48

Post by Cotten »

Jack!

Beware the proper gear is .100" longer!

A 3/32" thick washer goes between the locknut and gear, so you may be able to get away with a .192" spacer.

Got a lathe?

'58 and later two-brush generators used a deflector (31035-58) with a spacer within it to replace the spring.

You might as well try it, as modern replacement gears often fit poorly upon the shaft splines.

Good luck!

....Cotten
guitarjac
Inactive member

Post by guitarjac »

so should i just get the proper deflector and seperator washer?
the CE site says to do that and use the stock gear for their genny but now i'm unsure....will i still need to turn a spacer or just get the 65 gear? hmmmmm
then do i just torque it tight or just till you cant turn the deflector?
thanks and sorry for all the questions,
jack
Panshovevo
Inactive member
Bikes: '50 F model, '76FX/L, '96 96" FXDWG

Post by Panshovevo »

I'm not sure of all the details, but can guarantee that you don't want the gear getting loose on the shaft. Use a self-locking nut, preferably all metal, rather than the nylon insert type, and torque it to whatever spec you can find for it. If you can't find a torque spec, use a standard torque chart for the thread size on the end of the shaft.
Regards,
John

PS Anyone with better info can correct me if necessary. I haven't researched this issue.
guitarjac
Inactive member

Post by guitarjac »

Well after checking things and making some calls it seems I just need to use the gear and deflector from an early sportster to have the correct fit.
Thanks cotton for making me aware of the problem!
jack

Return to “Electrical”