Ignition Switch

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
jdpan
Bikes: 1952 Custom swingarm panhead

Ignition Switch

Post by jdpan »

Does anyone make an electronic, 5 terminal switch that will actually work with a two light dash? Did some research and from personal experience, the 6 terminal switches dont work well. Mine seems to be getting a little flakey and will intermittently lose connection, no fun at a stoplight.. If anyone can make suggestions or any assist, appreciation your way. Might consider taking it apart and etching the contact points if I have to.
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Re: Ignition Switch

Post by john HD »

jd,

might try the following.

take it apart and clean the contacts with steel wool. then grease it with white lithium or lubriplate grease.

while you have it apart check the rivets that hold the buttons to the fiber plate. if they are loose you may try restaking the rivets with a dull center punch to tighten the rivets up.

finally you can rotate the contact bar to get a clean contact. or just replace it with a new one.

john
jdpan

Post by jdpan »

John, can you replace just the contact bar, or did you mean replace the whole switch? Thanks.. I did that to the old one and it only lasted a short time, thats why the electronic switches sound appealing..
Pomike
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by Pomike »

The ones made by Superior in Japan are good. I don't think they are made anymore, but there seem to be a million of them out there. I'd sell you mine, but I am keeping it for a spare. The originals can be rebuilt. I do it all the time. Then they work fine again. Just rakes some attention to detail. and a little hand fitting. The Supriors are on ebay a lot. Some dealers still have them laying around. The six post will work. You just don't use one of them.
Mike
jdpan

Post by jdpan »

Never had much luck with the 6 terminals fitting comfortably under the dash and they seem to be just a tad tall and bind... Got a link to the Superior ones? Thanks..
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

jdpan wrote:John, can you replace just the contact bar, or did you mean replace the whole switch? Thanks.. I did that to the old one and it only lasted a short time, thats why the electronic switches sound appealing..
yes you can just replace the bar. or roll it over to the good side for a quick fix.

whatever you do grease the daylights out of it and it will work better even with marginal parts.

john
hplhd
Bikes: 1998 heritage springer
1959 FLH

Post by hplhd »

jdpan wrote:Never had much luck with the 6 terminals fitting comfortably under the dash and they seem to be just a tad tall and bind... Got a link to the Superior ones? Thanks..
i tried a 6 post and the 6th post would hit the lite shroud in the dash also.
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

I realize that a 6 pole switch is not wired the same as a 5 pole, nor are the corresponding poles located in the same positions, BUT....have ya ever thought bout removin the obstructing 6th pole and rewiring to what ya got. This may or may not be possible depending on how the contact plate is designed. OR... find yerself a stock 5 pole unit and go from there. Short of the contact plate (fibre contact) being broken, or the contact roller (brass lookin pin) bein highly worn, these switches should last 2 life times if assembled properly and lubricated/cleaned occasionally. As for the 6 pole switch bein taller tham the 5 pole, I've never experienced this dilema. It may be a repop piece. The lock is the easiest way to tell if the switch is "genuine" if it is installed with the dash cover in place....bosheff
jdpan

Post by jdpan »

The 6th terminal isn't the issue, that can easily be delt with, it's the physical size of the unit itself. Side by side, the 6 term. stands slightly taller and wont fit under the dash without stressing it..... This was the case the last time I tried one several years back, yes it was a repop.. Is it suggested to Lubriplate the contact points on the switch? That won't interfere with conductivity? I may just take my 5 term. apart tonight for inspection, I still wouldn't mind knowing where to find an e-switch..
john HD

Post by john HD »

jd

yes lubriplate is a good grease for electrical connections.

most all of the heavy duty electrical equipment we install at the power company comes with lubriplate.

try it and see what happens.... the worst thing you would have to do is start over and clean it off!

john
jdpan

Post by jdpan »

Lubriplate it is.... Thanks John...
Little info on Lubriplate...

http://www.lubriplate.com/pdf/pds/3_23%20DS-ES.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
George Greer
Bikes: 1942 WLA Type III
Hybrid WL/KH bobber project.
58 FL

Post by George Greer »

Some parts on the UH-60 Blackhawk, and AH 64 Apache helicopters that I work on us lubed by this same stuff.

Good stuff.

George
Panshovevo
Inactive member
Bikes: '50 F model, '76FX/L, '96 96" FXDWG

Post by Panshovevo »

George,
Are you military or civilian?
I'll never forget the first time I saw our attack choppers in simulated action (might have been '77, '78). I had just delivered a load of high priority goods to either Grafenweir (sp?) or Wildflecken (sp?) for a Reforger exercise, and was taking a break before heading back to Germersheim for more.
A flight of choppers, armed to the teeth, popped up without warning in a small cut between two hills, and headed directly for the area I was in. Between the surprise of no audible warning, and the intimidating appearance of the machines, a chill ran down my back, and I was very glad they were on my side.
hplhd
Bikes: 1998 heritage springer
1959 FLH

Post by hplhd »

i have dia electric grease from crc. its served me well for the small things i need to put it on. i would be comfortable using it on my helicopter. :)
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

If it was in fact a repop piece, I'd think that may be yer problem as far as heigth is concerned....bosheff

Return to “Electrical”