replacing a H2 Battery Advice Needed !

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Motorcyclemike
Bikes: Knucklehead and a Triumph

replacing a H2 Battery Advice Needed !

Post by Motorcyclemike »

I need to buy a new H2 6 volt battery But i have reading thru the Electrical "Knowledge Base" and i am still confused as what to do !
I really instead of buying a new H2 would rather do the 2 six volt maintenance free battery's or the gel cell types.....i would do the same as others have said and wire them in parallel and set them in the battery box area where the normal H2 battery would be located.

I still will run the 6v Delco Remy cut out relay .
Whats the best battery for that a switch over , a maintenance free type that after you fill it the caps are replaced and never have to be removed again ? Or the gel cell types thats factory sealed ?

And what is the battery number of the one thats best to use weather it is a Maintenance free or a Gel Cell type ?

Oh i called a shop here in town and asked IF they had a H2 battery for a Old Harley and LOL the one they had was "MADE IN INDIA"......i read all about them in the knowledge base and they all leaked all around where the top is secured and glued to the lower box.
Ride Free and stay Alert at all Times.
Motor Cycle Mike
jtraub
Bikes: 1953G,1958 FLH, 1960 FLH, 1964 FL, 1968 FLH, 1989 FLHS, 1997 FLHRI, 2016 FLHTKSE

Re: replacing a H2 Battery Advice Needed !

Post by jtraub »

I switched to a 6V sealed battery and no more corrosion problems. Here a couple of websites: http://www.batterymart.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has a 6volt 20 AH sealed battery #SLA-6V20 with dimensions of 6.18" long x 3.27" width x 4.92" height that will fit in the box. At http://www.batteryweb.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; they are showing a Harley-Davidson H2-Sealed AGM battery that has the stock dimensions of a wet 6V H2. I haven't checked that one out to make sure if it is truly a sealed battery but will be.
jtraub
Bikes: 1953G,1958 FLH, 1960 FLH, 1964 FL, 1968 FLH, 1989 FLHS, 1997 FLHRI, 2016 FLHTKSE

Post by jtraub »

Just wanted to clarify that the AGM battery on the batteryweb website is smaller than the original wet H2 Harley battery. The picture on the website shows them side-by-side for comparison. I don't know about the type of terminals for the AGM battery in that picture. On the sealed 6V battery that I am currently using on my 64 FL I had to fabricate some connections for the terminals but not a big deal. I took my old H2 battery, drained it, flushed it then cut off the top and gutted it. I was able to put the smaller sealed battery in the old H2 case and connected the terminals from the new battery to the bottom of the terminals on the inside of the old H2 battery and then used silicone to glue the top back on. By doing this I am able to use the standard connections to the ground and hot wires and when the sealed battery dies I will be able to cut the top of the H2 back off and put in a new sealed battery and it all looks stock.
Motorcyclemike
Bikes: Knucklehead and a Triumph

Post by Motorcyclemike »

Thanks for all the valuable battery advice.....Thats what i will do then and i'll consider it......."Problem Solved".
Thank you also for the extra message....you are greatly appreciated by me..... and i am sure by many that have read your answer also.

Motor Cycle Mike*

Return to “Electrical”