Voltage Regulator and Generator troubleshooting

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
wileysnkskns
Inactive member

Voltage Regulator and Generator troubleshooting

Post by wileysnkskns »

I was hoping there was a diagram for jumping generator and regulator for polarity.It's been ten years since my panhead and I were run over by an illegal alien who ran and left me for dead on greenway parkway in Phoenix AZ.I've forgotten which of the two terminals on the generator you jump to the bateryy terminal on regulator to force generator polarity. Ig your looking straight on at the end mount regulatory witch of there two terminals is it the one ord right, as to cycle direction, front of or rear. the left ourAny help of out there?
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Re: Voltage Regulator and Generator troubleshooting

Post by PanPal »

wiley. If you are looking from the gear cover side with the gear side of the generator pointing towards you, the A terminal should be the terminal on your left or the terminal closest to the motor case. This is what I flash polarity to from a wire on your positive battery terminal. It could be backwards if someone replaced the field coils in your generator and did not put it back this way, but this is normally what I have seen.

Thanks for the diagram John. I do have this in my manual, however I don't own all the amp meters and resistors they want me to wire to it. Me and electricity have a love hate relationship. I love it when it works but hate it when I let the smoke out of components.

Return to “Electrical”