6 Volt & 12 Volt electrical systems

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Sausage

6 Volt & 12 Volt electrical systems

Post by Sausage »

Is the Panhead original 6 Volt Electrical System regarded as sufficent to the Panhead enthusiast or is it common to change over to a 12 Volt Electrical System?

Thank You.
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Re: 6 Volt & 12 Volt electrical systems

Post by panhead »

I have my Panhead converted to 12V and am very satisfied with it (also running dual plugs and S&S and electronic ignition): very reliable.
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

Depends on what your building. Big inch with a stretch frame and your going to ride it at night alot? Go 12V. If your riding with 6 volts and your on a freeway at night, those low-pressure sodium lights will steal any illumination that a 6 volt can muster.
Building OEM-style on an OEM-style frame? Going to ride it some at night? Build it 6V, and people can tell your riding an antique. If your building a scratch-machine (without an antique title) California makes you build a 12V. Tedd has conversion battery box inserts and a mini-12V battery that will keep your machine stock looking.
I like 6 volt...so when your riding at night, the speedo face is only lit by a dim bulb.
Zup
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by Zup »

If you want the most light for night riding, then the 12 volt is the way to go. I used to ride in the high desert at night with my old 3 brush, and when I was haulin' a**... the lights would get dimmer & dimmer. Not saying that the old 3 brush couldn't have charged better than it did, just saying a 12 volt works better.
Not to mention that 12 volt bulbs are alot more common, finding a replacement 6 volt bulb in the middle of the night could be a major pain!!! (if not next to impossible)
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

Does anyone know where I can find an electric (2)hp, 110V rheostat controlled variable speed motor, like the one B. Palmer uses to set the amperage output of the 32E generator in his book on page 374 of their book?
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

I started out with 6volt electrics on my 59 because I thought originality was the most important thing. After the little 6 volt battery failed me a few times I converted to 12 volts including an Odyssey acid mat battery and an electronic voltage regulator. Trouble free ever since!
Good Luck.
mustangcav
Inactive member

Post by mustangcav »

I've kept mine a 6v because I want to keep it close to 'as it was'. I had a top venting battery which I replaced it because it functioned as advertised and vented acid all over the place. I now have a side tube venting battery from HD that works fine. I have one of those acid collector tubes connected to the battery and tucked inside the frame just in case. I don't ride it much in the dark, so that is obviously a serious consideration as the others have mentioned.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

At risk of repeating myself,

Two-brush 6v generators ( i.e. Models 58, 61, etc) provide every bit as much light and reliability as two-brush 12v units. Their only disadvantages are the expensive batteries and inconvenient sources of bulbs.
It is the earlier 3-brush ("32evil") systems that are unrealistic for modern service. A conversion of 3 into 2 brush units (that used the same regulator instead of a relay) can be "correct" for '47 and later machines.

Return to “Electrical”