Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
suicideshovel65
Bikes: 37 U
Multiple K models

Wiring harness replacing questions: which type to select

Post by suicideshovel65 »

Hi everyone,

I have a '49 engine in a '58-'64 series duoglide frame. The wiring harness desperately needs replacing, and I'm wondering which type to select - the '48-'57 harness, or the '58-'64 type? ie do I match to frame or engine?
FWIW the bike is set up with a CE 12V generator, and needs to run brake lamps, horn, and turn signals.
Other than the above question re harness type, will the OEM-style replacement be of appropriate wire gauge for the 12V setup (it's already running everything 12V nicely with the CE generator)?
I believe I have seen occasions where the turn signal sub-looms are obtained separately, so I will check this out also.
Will the OEM-style require terminal boxes and so forth, or can these be avoided through routing/gathering the wiring differently?
I'm currently looking at the harnesses available from Ziggy's (http://www.ziggysmotorworks.com/HOG/HOGWIRE.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) - if anyone has any comments about the product/shop they'd be appreciated.
Many thanks!

Simon
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Re: Wiring harness questions

Post by mbskeam »

hello,
I have done bussienes with ziggy. when he was in seattle.On the back side of capital hill. used to let me borrow parts for mock up with.He is a okay guy to deal with. He did okay by me.
I would go for the 58-64 harness as this will be for the frame you have. I think it will need the elec. terminal plates, as it came from the factory. the wires will take 12 v ok. This harness will be a close match to all the other after market ones out there. I run the same thing on mine.I would solder the ends as this is a problem on all of these.I have had a few wires come apart from the terminal ends.
mbskeam
panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Post by panfreak »

Just a thought, why not order loom and cloth wire from NOSPARTS and do it yourself? I omitted terminal box, wired everything to ignition switch, and mounted two breakers neatly under dash base. Used 12g from battery to ignition. Soldered and shrink tube'd all connectors cuzz I'm fussy. There are a lot of simple wire diagrams out there, and it's very satisfying.
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 »

Some more input... if you aren't going for every show point you can get here's what I've found works well. I used marine grade wire (it's plated and stands up to moisture with no corrosion). Then I slip it inside a fiberglass sleave. The fiberglass shrinks down to the size of your wire when you pull it tight. It actually looks a lot like cloth except the weave is finer. You can get any size you need and all sorts of colors too (but I always have used black). Solder and shrink tube all the ends like Panfreak said. Who wants to be looking for a loose wire in the dark on the side of the road. ;) Oh... forgot to mention that the fiberglass is heat resistent to something like 700*F. Great protection from heat and chaffing too.
suicideshovel65
Bikes: 37 U
Multiple K models

Post by suicideshovel65 »

Thanks for the pointers guys, I'll have a think about it and see how I go. I like the idea of attempting complete wiring with just the wires, but I'll likely be in a hurry to get the bike back on the road, so I'm tending to lean towards the ready-made harness.

Cheers,

Simon
kell

Post by kell »

I'd think a wire harness for 6 volts would have plenty of beef for the 12 volt application. A twelve volt system is likely to carry less current than a 6 volt system.
Like when people take Volkswagen beetles from the 1960's and upgrade them to 12 volt systems, they keep the old six volt wiring because it's actually heavier than the later 12 volt Volkswagen wiring harness.

Return to “Electrical”