6 volt Regulator replacement/retrofit...............

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

6 volt Regulator replacement/retrofit...............

Post by Jack_Hester »

Haven't spent much time in recent years, searching through the various sources for voltage regulators. I'm all for quality solid-state regulators, if they come in an OEM-looking package. But mostly, I look to the old farm equipment sources for such, and have come up short. There are a very large number of 6 volt regulators available from these sources. And, quite a few that have the exact outside appearance of our motorcycle regulators. But, pull the cover and find a different breed. Now, that's ok if you have the specifications for the regulator. That is, those of the manufacturer.

What I'm interested in first, is the specifications for the OEM regulator that we use. I know the manual gives a detailed description of how to test one. But, I want the simplified version of spec sheet that tells what to expect in the way of charging. Farm equipment uses far bigger batteries than that of our batteries. So, one can expect to boil one of our size, using one of these regulators. The good thing is that these old regulators are adjustable within a specified range. That's the kind of info that I'm looking for. That way, I can substitute a regulator from one of the old equipment sources, reliably.

I'm satisfied that someone has already done this legwork. Some may say that I'm getting lazy. But, I prefer to say that I'm slowing down. Anyway, is there a spec sheet available for our regulators, that is easily downloadable? Or, website with webpages of published info?

What stimulated this post is that, when I was finishing up the rebuild on my '59 early last Spring, and had cranked it for the first time, the generator light would not go out at any RPM. All initial checks, including flashing the field again, came up with no solution other than putting the old regulator back on. As it was very oily/cruddy on the inside, I soaked it in 'gentle' solvent, and air-dried it. I installed it with the cover off. With the engine running, the generator light went out at a fast idle, which is where I run it anyway. So, I installed the new cover and gasket on the old regulator, and that's the way it runs now. However, the only reason I put a new one on was the fact that my rubber mounts on my old one are all but shot. I may have to get creative and drill out the rivets, and install some new rubber with screws. Other than that, it is a perfectly functional regulator. I just want to find a reliable source for an OEM replacement.

By the way, the 'new' regulator does not look at all like the OEM, under the cover. And, it is not adjustable, like the OEM. Plus, you can't return electrical components, once they have been connected to a battery. So, it's long gone, in the trash.

Jack
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Re: 6 volt Regulator replacement/retrofit...............

Post by john HD »

jack,

we have been kicking it around here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6018

my brother and I came up with a prototype last summer that lasted about 6 months. it worked well and was adjustable. it fit in the original relay case. my battery seemed to do well when adjusted for 6.8 volts. the transistors we used were not heat sinked well enough and that led to it's demise.

i must credit member frankenstien as he had the original design we just went from there...

john
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

John -

Thanks for the info. I'm on a quest now to find a direct replacement, in a points type regulator.

Jack
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

jack,

check with dixe distributors.

i just put a direct replacement for the delco 2 unit on my buddy's 62 FLH. i think it is made in brazil, and works perfectly.

i think it was 55 bucks retail.

john

Return to “Electrical”