Another Regulator question

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Eric S
Bikes: 59 FLH 50 EL

Another Regulator question

Post by Eric S »

I have a 12V Cycle Electric generator on my 59 with what appears to be a Custom Chrome??? solid state regulator device mounted to the end of the generator under a stock syle cover. Are these any good? I am trying to sort out an unfinished restoration by a previous owner. I will be using the small battery and extension unit in the stock oil tank. And last does any one have wiring instructions for one of these devices? Thanks!
duoglide58

Re: Another Regulator question

Post by duoglide58 »

I had several failures with the external regulators including some solid state external regulators. But I was running a 12 volt sytem and the mini battery.
Then I went to a low output cycle electric generator with the integrated solid state regulator. I have not had any problems with it in the past 10 years.
Doug
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Post by steve_wood »

Here you go. Hope this helps.

steve
Eric S
Bikes: 59 FLH 50 EL

Post by Eric S »

Thank You!! Are you using one of these? Any problems? I am going to go the gel cell battery route that was mentioned in the knowledge base. Thanks Again. Eric
steve_wood

Post by steve_wood »

I broke that one while I was trouble shooting my generator. Once I got my generator problems squared away, I bought another solid state one, but the type that fits where the original regulator goes (beside the circuit breaker). Turns out I was able to use the cover from my vintage mechanical regulator and put it over the solid state stuff. Now my rig looks 100% vintage but it is in fact solid state!
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

Turns out I was able to use the cover from my vintage mechanical regulator and put it over the solid state stuff.
I planned on doing this with the later style regulator that mounts near the rear exhaust header. I have the cycle electric 6 volt solid state unit. The guy in the shop thought it would be a bad idea covering the cooling fins. Did yours have cooling fins also? I ended up getting my mechanical regulator working, so I am holding off a bit on the switch over.
steve_wood

Post by steve_wood »

Good question! I'll check....

Nope. No cooling fins. The unit came with a cover very similar to the stock cover. I just replaced it with the OEM cover. The circuit components are all pretty small. Doesn't look like heat is an issue.

But I'll keep an eye on it. If I ever get the heads back on....
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

The little "electronic cutoff relay", which is what it sounds like Steve has, is simply a diode, wired up so that the battery can't discharge through the generator when the genny is not charging. This unit does not generate any significant heat.

The larger, "mounts by the rear exhaust" voltage regulator/cutoff relay(2 relays combined-that's why it is bigger) needs more electronic circuitry, and that's why it will typically have the heatsink fins.
steve_wood

Post by steve_wood »

Now you got me curious....

The device consists of at least one small integrated circuit and several transistors. If you look carefully at the level underneath the circuit board, you can see the edge of the power transistor (the black piece surrounded by white heat sink goo). That's the puppy that does the work based on directions from the brains on the circuit board. The power transistor is firmly attached to the metal frame - this connection allows it to conduct heat to the metal frame where it gets dissipated.

Pretty cool little rig. And it fits under a stock cover.

You can just barely make out the writing on the cover....
Attachments
Regulator Inside.jpg
Regulator Inside.jpg (304.09 KiB) Viewed 3130 times
Regulator Cover.jpg
Regulator Cover.jpg (292.42 KiB) Viewed 3130 times
awander
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

oops! That looks like one of the 12V units, which IS a regulator, as well as a cutout relay.
steve_wood

Post by steve_wood »

Yup. 12V. Got a 65A generator but I tried to keep everything looking like the stock 6v system.
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

still working on my franken volt regulator.

burned it up once, just need bigger transistors. fits in the stock box.

john
awander
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

John:

Is yours 6V or 12V? I would be real interested in a good regulator for 6V that fits in the standard cutout cover.
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Sure John, NOW you tell us your first one burned up! I built one using the schematic and parts list from the original posting. I pulled the 3rd brush from a 32E and mounted the whole thing up. It worked like a charm for a short time but it fried when I tried to run with the spot lights on continuously. I was actually more worried about the "converted" 32E overheating, but the FrankenRegulator burned up before the generator did.

I came to the same conclusion, your brother's design will work but it needs bigger transistors and better heat-sink.

mike
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

andy,

the franken volt is 6 but can be built to 12 volts.

mike,

i thought i updated the thread on it and reported the burn up. i was running my passing lamps as well. my brother figured doubling the capacity of the transistors would do.

now all we need is enough time to rebuild it and start testing the mark II model.

john
Attachments
Reg_one.jpg
Reg_one.jpg (121.95 KiB) Viewed 3100 times

Return to “Electrical”