Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
61FLHPan
Inactive member
Bikes: 1961FlHPan 73flh@1983lowrider

when kicking battery drains down

Post by 61FLHPan »

The other day went to start bike i notice the gen.light&oil light dem down everytime i would kick the lights would get dimmer` to where there was avery little light the bike kick over ran fine just when thebike was at low idle the gen.light would flixer but when bike was at reved up the light would go out.I check the voltage coming out battery it was reading 13.5to14 volts. do you think i might have a bad ground some where.Or could the gen drain the battery like that it anew battery it a 12volt gel battery. Iwould like to thank everyone for the help i got off the site THANK YOU
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: when kicking battery drains down

Post by Cotten »

61FLHPan!

Are you running a solid state regulator?
I was told that some are not compatible with gel batteries.

.....Cotten
61FLHPan
Inactive member
Bikes: 1961FlHPan 73flh@1983lowrider

Post by 61FLHPan »

I dont know I started out with a rubber mounted reg. I could get it to work right the gen. light would stay on.So I had this old regulator must be 20 years old I got it with the bike so I put that on and the gen.light went out it do you hook up the rubber mounted the same way as the solit mount reg. THANK YOU
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

mine does this if the idle is set real low the light will flicker, then when it goes up in rpm's it goes out ...
this is normal.....
when you are kicking it over, what you see is the points closing and the coil drawing power, this in turn steals a bit from the lights, making the idiot light dimmer
mine does this also....

when the batt does get old, takes a good charge, but will not last long when kicking ...ie can't take the amp load
it's time to replace...
so how old is your batt?

Return to “Electrical”