Headlight wire leads

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Headlight wire leads

Post by Hauula Pan »

I need some help figuring out the 3 wires on the connector on a Wagner 6006 6volt headlight. There are 3 wires, Left, Top, & Right. Nothing is marked. Looking into the sealed beam it looks like 2 filiment leads go to the left terminal, and one each to the top and right. I'm guessing one lead is for ground, one for low beam & one for high beam, but can not tell which is which. Anyone know which terminal is which????
LittleAl
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 FL Panhead
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Re: Headlight wire leads

Post by LittleAl »

standing in front of bike, facing the headlight bucket, looking at the tri plug:

left is high beam
top is low beam
right is ground

OR, stated another way:

looking at the male terminals on the back of the bulb:
right is high beam
top is low beam
left is ground

wiring up the terminals wrong can allow the light to SEEM to work correctly but all kinds of strange things can happen, ask me how I know, LOL
Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Post by Hauula Pan »

Al, Thanks for the answer. I kinda thought that was it as the 2 filiments went to the left & I figured that was probablu ground for both hi & Lo, but I wasn't sure and like you said get it wrong & all kinds of stuff can happen!!! Get your's running yet??
LittleAl
Inactive member
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Post by LittleAl »

Not yet, saturday the latest.

a few minor issues but it's be raining and dark every night by time I get home from work. main issue is clutch is apparently slipping so the kicker and giving a good spin to the motor

thanks for asking!
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

If you have a 3-stud stock-style clutch, make sure the distance in three places is 31/32 and that your using police service fiber and steel plain or rattle-ball plates. Everything all stock style? 31/32 is perfect on a 1941-64 clutch assembly.
Last edited by VintageTwin on Fri May 29, 2009 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
LittleAl
Inactive member
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Post by LittleAl »

3 finger, new steel plates, but the later style without the anti-rattles. frictions aren't new but excellent condition, don't know whose they are, they were in the bike when I bought it. original style throwout bearing, not the crap one. foot clutch and i thought I had it adjusted right but I guess I'll be rechecking it to make sure. I thought the measurement was 31/32?

edited to add:

Ok, I just checked, musta been a typo on your part, the measurement is in fact 31/32
VT

Post by VT »

Yeah 31/32. You have Vol. 1 right?
Are those plates greasy? Did you soak them down with BrakeKleen spray? Ja' scratch 'em up with 180 grit? Soak them down again with BrakeKleen? They're probably oil soaked. Are they real dark? After you brakeKleen them try sticking a piece of blue masking tape to the fiber discs. If it sticks okay, then remove the tape right away.
Springs are new?
You better get a 3-1/2 magnifying glass and spend some time with it and a penlight flashlight and check that 31/32 in three places. Be exact.
Note: Don't ask your wife to hold the flashlight beam on the exact spot you need it. A woman's "focus ability" will quickly drift and you'll be working in the dark.
LittleAl
Inactive member
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Post by LittleAl »

thanks VT, gonna attack this tomorrow morning
VT

Post by VT »

* Are you using Vol. 1 (that Stett and I invested 7 yrs. to print) :?:
http://www.stettsironhorseranch.com/stetts.htm
In any case, don't do anything that's un-doable because you think it's the right thing to do. Ask me first.
We don't need anybody's help on this. Let Al and I figure it out on our own, and the rest of you, grab a high-boy chair and watch.
See if VT can't follow his own printed material.

* If people were the students who never had their classroom text book in high school, and tried to breeze through without the books that were made available (chosen by the teachers as the best guides to help you learn), then you're probably the same student today.
"Everything revolves in a circle. You will have the same opportunities to make the same wrong decision, in a new situation, and continue on a pattern of doing it wrong, over and frickin' over, and of also going where you shouldn't, without advise." - the Zen masters, Gurgieff (yea, whirling dervishes, wren's painted yellow then sold as canaries, same guy), Ouspensky, all of the other thinker dudes.
•••••••••••••••••••••••
Al, it helps to look on page 139 at Fig. 133. The pocket ruler shows the throw at exactly 31/32. Take that measurement at every stud position.
God help you, if you don't have the hunter tang of the hub washer fully intact within the mainshaft keyway.
later style without the anti-rattles. frictions aren't new but excellent condition
Great. Smooth plates are haps. I like those bonded fiber discs that V-Twin makes. Sounds good so far. I think 31/32 is your fix. Amazing how those notched nuts fit perfect over the stamped hump in the pressure plate (and you still get that 31/32 exactly in 3 locations). That's applied engineering. What a great American clutch it is. Makes it fun when it's durable.
panz4ever
Bikes: EL, FXE & FLH

Post by panz4ever »

We don't need anybody's help on this. Let Al and I figure it out on our own, and the rest of you, grab a high-boy chair and watch.
See if VT can't follow his own printed material.

If you are really serious about this statement, you really need to check yourself! You are not the last word. You have a lot of knowledge but you are not the last word on HDs. Sorry to burst your bubble. And no I haven't written or co-authored any book and I do not remind everyone in every post either. Last tine I checked the Hydra-Glide forum allowed input from all who joined and was not an exclusive club. If I am incorrect maybe an admin moderator can step in and correct me and I will gladly step aside or go elsewhere.
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

Last time I checked the Hydra-Glide forum allowed input from all who joined and was not an exclusive club. If I am incorrect maybe an admin moderator can step in and correct me and I will gladly step aside or go elsewhere.
You are correct :D
NightShift
Bikes: Two Schwinns, a Hercules, and a Hiawatha

Post by NightShift »

>>Last time I checked the Hydra-Glide forum allowed input from all who joined and was not an exclusive club. <<

I'll testify to that.

Relax.
think before you push submit.

I'd sleep in a parking barn ifn I diddnt.

NightShift

Return to “Electrical”