12v conversion- alternator or generator

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
xnoahx

12v conversion- alternator or generator

Post by xnoahx »

Ok, I've been looking over some of the threads on here and I want to convert my 64 pan to 12v. I've been looking through the JP cycles catalog at the possibilities and I see that they have both a 12v generator and alternator conversion kits. I know people here have had experience with the generator conversion with the low voltage regulator and the 5.5 amp battery. Or possibly one of the sealed batteries talked about on the 12v itty bitty battery thread and a standard voltage regulator. I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the alternator conversion kit. I was thinking about getting that and the sealed battery. I know I will need a 12v coil for either of these swaps.
hplhd
Bikes: 1998 heritage springer
1959 FLH

Re: 12v conversion- alternator or generator

Post by hplhd »

i have no exp. with the alternator kit but my 64 is 12 volt. i don't know if i could get a sealed bat to fit in my stock oil bag. havn't looked tho. besides the coil ,don't forget your lights and reg to change out. hell i'm not running a winch of the bat i just want to start it and have lights.lol
57pan
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by 57pan »

My 57 had the alternator kit in it when I got it. So far it has been reliable, but I don't seem to be getting the rated amperage out of it. It should put out 17A according to the catalog. I measured the draw on my battery with all my lights on and it was under 10A. Add another 2A or so for the ignition and the alternator should still be putting out enough juice but when I run with my spot lamps on it will gradually draw the battery down.
I just haven't gotten around to testing it to see if it is the alternator or the solid state regulator.

hplhd1, here is a link to a sealed battery that I am using in my stock-size oil tank.
http://www.batterystuff.com/battery/batteries.htm

Scroll down and look for model ES 12-12.
xnoahx

Post by xnoahx »

Hey 57 thanks for the info, I checked out your site and I like the pipes you have on your bike. I was wondering if you have any pictures of the alternator installed on your bike? I'm just wondering what it looks like.
hplhd
1959 FLH

Post by hplhd »

dave, i looked at the site and for the life of me i could not find the battery, but i loose my glasses when they are on my head. thanks for the tip. i'm going to tear my 59 down this winter and change it to 12v, and i'm going to check out a tech cycle starter for it. my kicking stick is about shot and my lungs give out. thanks,rich
xnoahx

Post by xnoahx »

I couldnt find the battery on the site either so I just googled es12-12 and found a bunch of places selling it for $30-40
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 »

I was also looking for a sealed battery for my Panhead that would fit nicely in the horseshoe oil tank. I looked at the ES12-12. Great in terms of power and size. But then I noticed the ES12-12 is a "deep cycle" battery. Deep cycle batteries are designed to be charged, then discharged and charged again. You can use a deep cycle battery in a constant charging application but you won't get the best life. I continued my search and found the YUASA YTZ14S. It's a sealed battery that puts out 14A and is not a deep cycle. I'll upload a picture of the small 12V (5.5Amp/hr) battery next to the YUASA to the Misc Photo Gallery.

Check here:
DCP_2118small.JPG
DCP_2118small.JPG (52.49 KiB) Viewed 1447 times
The YUASA battery cost me $89 + shipping. Lights are as bright at idle as they are at highway speed now. AND ... no need to worry about acid from the overflow tube on the dinky 12V 5.5amp/hr battery.
hplhd
1959 FLH

Post by hplhd »

caschnd1, thanks man i am going to look into it
chucklbones
Inactive member

Post by chucklbones »

hey now
alternators are a waste of money put one on mine and like 57 pan would not keep bat charged sent it back to manufacture they climed they bump it up but when reinstalled on no better went back to late mod sporster gen and reg no more problems
xnoahx

Post by xnoahx »

Sounds like I will probably be going with a generator then. Would there be any other benefits to running the alt though, like being able to start the bike even with a dead battery?
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

I have installed a couple of those "mini-alt's" on a Pan
& early shovel. They both are bare bones choppers.
No Problems on either, 4 & 5 yrs ago now..
Never had a need to check what they put out amp/wise.
But they work well for those 2 chops.
My servi, I have added a 60 amp Delco (1) wire alt & a 500cca auto-batt. I can jump-start a big truck.. ;D
BigMike
Bikes: 01 FLHPI
64 FLH
Various partials....

Post by BigMike »

You need that power for the window rattling thump-da thumpty thump stereo system eh?
57pan
Inactive member

Post by 57pan »

caschnd1 wrote:
I was also looking for a sealed battery for my Panhead that would fit nicely in the horseshoe oil tank. I looked at the ES12-12. ..
I continued my search and found the YUASA YTZ14S. It's a sealed battery that puts out 14A and is not a deep cycle.
Thanks for the tip. I will have to check that one out when my ES 12-12 gives out.
57pan
Inactive member

Post by 57pan »

Jun 19, 2005, 10:23am, chucklbones wrote:
hey now
alternators are a waste of money put one on mine and like 57 pan would not keep bat charged sent it back to manufacture they climed they bump it up but when reinstalled on no better went back to late mod sporster gen and reg no more problems
I'm curious about the sportster gen/reg. that you installed. Is it a bolt-in job or do you have to make mods? What's the advantage of the sportster gen - more amps?
chucklbones
Inactive member

Post by chucklbones »

hey now
57 pan
dont know about amps but it works great electric start run spot lights and haglon head light and no more problems made a bracket for regulator

Return to “Electrical”