Battery problem

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
beets
Bikes: 56 FL, 07 Goldwing ,91 BMW K75

Battery problem

Post by beets »

I got a new -29f battery from HARLEY and added acid. After charging it for 18 hours at 1.5 amps it only gets to 6.4 volts and the voltage drops while the digital multimeter is hooked up. I got a floating ball hydrometer and the cell that is gassing the most shows 3/4 charge and the other two show 1/4 charge with little gassing.

I checked the hydrometer on a known good battery and all cells show full charge.

Any ideas/suggestions?
DaveSwanson
Bikes: 1936 VLH, 1936 VD, 1956 FLH, 1956 KHK,

Re: Battery problem

Post by DaveSwanson »

Looks like you got a bad one.
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

sometimes you have to "shock" a dry charged battery into life with a quick high-amp jolt of power. Try hooking it up to an automotive charger and charging it at about 6 amps for 10 or 15 minutes. Keep an eye on the temperature while you're giving it the fast charge, don't let it get too hot. After the 15 minute "boost" put the trickle charger back on it overnight and the see what you've got.

If it doesn't wake up after that you should take it back where you got it and try for an exchange.

mike
beets
Bikes: 56 FL, 07 Goldwing ,91 BMW K75

Post by beets »

Shocking it with 6 amps didn't work. Only one cell is gasing freely and when I put a small load on the battery, the voltage falls fast.

I had a bad feeling when filling it with acid, two cells filled when I poured acid in one. I'm guessing there is a partition missing between cells.

I bought it on line and the dealer says I can't ship it back with acid residue in it. I'll check on that in the morning.
VT

Post by VT »

Imo, if you're talking about a 6V H-2, don't ever charge a battery with anything but a Battery Tender®. It's the official Harley-Davidson® charger these days.
Using anything else is a gamble, because batteries can't talk (yet). If they could, they would tell you they're being overheated, or that you've filled above the line, or that they'd last longer if you used "Charge-Itâ„¢" (cadmium solution) first.
That's what this industry needs, "talking batteries".
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

I'm due for a new 6 volt battery this season. I've been thinking about trying something different than what you get at the local HD shop.
I think this guy has this same battery on E-bay for a buy it now $59.00 every so often. Does anyone have expierience running one of these?

http://www.greatplainscycle.com/Batteries/6v18aGel.php
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

places like battery mart still sell them and sometimes have them in stock.

john
51Hog
Bikes: 1951 Fl

Post by 51Hog »

A pair of these will fit in the box and give you 24 amp hours---
http://www.batterymart.com/p-6v-12ah-se ... eryf2.html
Dale
PanPal
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

well, I dissected one of my old batteries last night and it seems like I could put 2 of these in this case. It seems like the dividers between the lead plates need to be longer to keep the plates from bridging on the HD batteries. Is it a bad idea to use a gel cell battery? Would a gel battery fail sooner than a lead acid battery in the hot oil tank?
51Hog
Bikes: 1951 Fl

Post by 51Hog »

I think I am going to give them a shot.
This is what the description says.

"Sealed Maintenance Free
The valve regulated, spill-proof construction of this battery allows trouble-free, safe operation in any position. There is no need to add electrolyte, as gases generated during charging are recombined in a unique "oxygen cycle".

Long Service Life
A dependable service life can be expected under normal operating conditions.

Long Shelf Life
Low self-discharge rate allows for storage of fully charged batteries for longer periods of time before charging is required. Lower storage temperatures will further extend shelf life.

Wide Operating Temperature Range
May be discharged over a temperature range of -40 ºC to +60 ºC (-40 ºF to +140 ºF), and charged at temperatures ranging from -20 ºC to +50 ºC (4 ºF to +122 ºF).

Rugged Construction
The high-impact resistant battery case is made either of non-conductive ABS plastic or styrene. Large capacity batteries frequently have polypropylene cases, all of these materials impart great resistance to shock, vibration, chemicals and heat.

Specifications:
6V 12AH
Length 5.95 in.
Width 1.97 in.
Height 3.71 in.
Terminal F2
F2 terminals are .250" wide (1/4")
1 Year Warranty "
PanPal
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

I think I will try them too. Thanks for posting the link.

I'm still wondering about the Gel batteries also. If I remember correctly the gel can begin to suspend bubbles, but is this from heat or overcharging?
RussW
Bikes: 1961 FL
2007 Kaw. Vulcan 2000

Post by RussW »

Free to a good home... one pair of 6V, 12 AH, MK brand SLA batteries. Used a couple of seasons, but still got a good output. I used to run the pair in my bike wired to a double throw switch, both batteries grounded and the (+) to different sides of the toggle switch. This allowed my to use either battery, and switch to the other if one died. Just alternated which I was using every couple weeks to make sure they both stayed charged. Only thing, you need an electronic voltage regulator for charging (I use Cycle Electric) so it doesn't fry these batteries. Switched to 12V last summer, Mallory dist., etc so maybe one of you could put these batteries to use. Whatever UPS shipping is and they're yours....
PanPal
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

Your saying If we try the new style batteries we need to be running and electronic regulator??? Why won't the original regulator work?

Return to “Electrical”