Magneto or not: improve performance

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
52chopper

Magneto or not: improve performance

Post by 52chopper »

In search of any tricks to upgrade or improve the performance of my stock, 12v, good running (starts most of the time!) 52, I wonder if spending the big bucks $$$ for a magneto is worth it?
What do you guys think? Who runs them and which type?
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: Magneto or not

Post by Cotten »

Most mags would require you to whack off your relay mount. It would be a lot of boogering of a stock bike (or even a stock motorcase) for a minor gain in performance.
If you choose to do so, get one with an auto-advance, if you value your ankle.
The best performance gains for the least cash are to be found by playing with your sprockets.
Ente

Post by Ente »

Cotten... You are just sooo practical..and right... (dreamkiller :-))... An magneto is on my wishlist too, I don't have the money, I don't need it, my engine running fine, no electrical problem.... But it's coooool with a magneto.. Is'nt so for you too 52chopper ?
52chopper

Post by 52chopper »

Ente & Cotten, you guys crack me up :D, as well as giving good advice! Ente your right it's cooool and Cotten your right, not much gain for the bang! So I guess I'll keep it on my wish list behind a new primary belt drive & clutch for this winter and adding a jockey shift (already bought), becuase that stuff is really cooool!

Thanks

Return to “Electrical”