Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
neilw
Bikes: 1995 Roadking(still brand new)
1991 HD springer
1959 pan (I'm reassembling)
1991 BMW 75RT.

need 59 pan wiring diagram showing signal lites

Post by neilw »

My 2 service manuals have wiring diagrams for 59 pans,but neither show them as having signal lites.Harley doesn,t show signal lites even on 1965 models ,and thats as far as my book goes.I know they were factory items in 59 ,probably an option ..the parts books show them.
I'm wondering about this cause the 59 I'm working on has 2 switches on the left handle bars ,both are 3 wire switches .Harley shows a 3 wire switch for headlamp. One of he switches on the left has 2 positions ,the other has 3 ,like maybe a signal lite switch would have ?? Another oddity on this switch stuff is that the 3 wire 3 position switch has a hole in the front about 3/8 inches in diameter where maybe a horn button could go..except theres no horn button in it or wire leading to it ,its all missing,and the 3 wires all go to the 3 position switch..
PanHeadRed
Inactive member
Bikes: 1959 FLH
2000 FLHR

Re: need 59 pan wiring diagram showing signal lites

Post by PanHeadRed »

>the 59 I'm working on has 2 switches on the left handle bars ,both are 3 wire switches .<

As I understand it that is not correct, you should have a 3-wire switch for Hi-Lo beam and a 2 wire Horn Button.
panz4ever
Bikes: EL, FXE & FLH

Post by panz4ever »

nels if you can get your hands on one, the 59-69 service manual has the diagram and instruction sheet for connections. It shows the set up for 68-69 models. It is also available in the Clymers manual for 59-84. The Clymers is a duplicate of the OEM manual.
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

The first link has most of the information needed to wire in signal lights. The problem is it does not show the switch.

The second link is the standard electrical drawing most of us have. This diagram does not show the spot lights or the turn signals. It could also use the page with the numbered items in the same link.

Perhaps turn signals and spot lights were ordered from the factory, but were not installed. So the directions would come in the accessory package with the bike. I have read they did this with the luggage racks also. You could order one, but the end user or the dealership would install them. So there would be no need to put these items on the scematic.

When I got my 59, the bars had a 3 position switch on the right hand side for turn signals that looked identical to the 2 position switch in the left bar for high/Low beam. There is no way for me to tell when it was done, so I can't say for sure what is right. I have been told the early turn signal switch was a clamp on switch.

Return to “Electrical”