Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
rusty_apache
Inactive member
Bikes: '65 fl

1965 factory wiring routes

Post by rusty_apache »

Hey guys, you have a very nice site here. I already found some information here about the routes of the the generator wires. The pictures were helpful. I routed mine in the same way but then, there is about 18" too much length between the soldered eyes. If I run it up, and under the tanks, and behind the seat post, it works out about right. I'm debating on whether I should shorten the arm./field wires to run the proper route, or take the long way. I just hate to start cutting up a new harness.

Also, This bike had a homemade harness that used crimp connectors rather than terminals, so I don't know the routes. The rear terminal is giving me a little trouble as far as which conduits come out the top, and which ones come out the bottom. The shop manual shows a few, but not all.

Any helpful advice would be appreciated.
-kevin
74bob
Bikes: 1947 FL
1948 WL
1965 FLH

Re: '65 factory wiring routes

Post by 74bob »

Hi Kevin,
'65 FLH generator to regulator wires run behind the pushrod tubes.
The length of a genuine original generator to regulator wire harness for a 1965 is 32" end to end.

Bob
rusty_apache
Inactive member
Bikes: '65 fl

Re: '65 factory wiring routes

Post by rusty_apache »

Thanks for the info Bob,
I didn't measure mine, but 32" seems about right. What I don't get, is where all the excess wire goes. I'm going to pull it, and double check it's length.

Is there a resource for these measurements, or wiring routes? I don't mind ordering books to get it right. It would be nice to be able to verify my harness is made correctly. Also, the gen light wire leading to the dash seems awfully long, but I hate to cut it, and then find out that maybe I took the wrong route. It also seems that my solenoid/starter wiring is undersized, but maybe it got oversized cables back in the 1970's.

I'm not building a concourse showbike here, this old bike is more of a family heirloom that is just getting some maintenance. I bought it from my dad in 2000, and he's had it since the '80s. The reason I'm trying to be meticulous, is because I don't want to end up with pinched wires, and short circuits, that can leave me on the side of the road.

Return to “Electrical”