64 DuoGlide Turn Signals

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
64DUOGLIDE
Inactive member

64 DuoGlide Turn Signals

Post by 64DUOGLIDE »

No mention of turn signal wire colors/routing in the service manual.
Looking for routing info and color info for rear signals.
Do the turn signal wires run all the way to the front (behind the headlight) terminal block? The stop light goes to the term block behind the coils, making it easy to remove the rear fender, why would the turn signals go all the way to the front? (as it seems to on a 66 and up)

Also, does anyone have a part number for the wire/stud combo that sits on the spring in the bulb housing for the rear signals?

Thanks
Leslie
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Re: 64 DuoGlide Turn Signals

Post by VintageTwin »

Rear bulbs are a double contact socket and use a double-filament bulb, #1154.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

The turn signals were an accessory kit, dealer purchase item. The paperwork that came with the kit included the installation instructions, wire diagram, and spare parts list for all the components of the kit.

Most any dealer that has been around for a while should have a dealer parts book that goes back far enough to list the kit, its no longer available, but at the very least you'll have the parts list and illustrations. I've got one somewhere but I'm in Oregon right now and it will have to wait until I get back to Arkansas and dig it out.

Does anyone else have a copy of the installation paperwork that they could scan and post?

You can get creative when adding the turn signals by installing dual filament sockets in the bullet light housings (or finding some that already have the dual sockets) and using them to add additional running lights on the rear of the bike. Don't even try to make the bright filaments in the dual filament bulbs act as another set of brake lights, its impossible to do if you wire it up using the simple OEM on-off-on handlebar switch. The left and right lights must be wired with independent dedicated wires, and the wires do run all the way to the terminal board behind the fork tins. The hardest part about the rear light installation is trying to feed the wires through the channel on the underside of the rear fender.

I put a set on my stock '49 FL, 6 volt, they work great!

mike
64DUOGLIDE
Inactive member

Post by 64DUOGLIDE »

Thanks! And if anyone can post a sketch, diagram, or drawing, it would be well appreciated!

Leslie
51Hog
Bikes: 1951 Fl

Post by 51Hog »

Just drew this up. It is very simple and works great.
I used dual filiment bulbs and wired in my brake lights.---No running lights on the rear.
If you want those, you need to also use a trailer light adapter. I don't know if they make the trailer light adapters in 6v.
Dale
Attachments
Blinkers.jpg
Blinkers.jpg (42.28 KiB) Viewed 1548 times
harpo55
Inactive member

Post by harpo55 »

I've just uploaded the instructions from the kit I have to the miscellaneous album-there are 11 pages in all, I think they got out of order when I uploaded them. Check your printout for accurate size before using. I hope this helps. Dan
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Dan, Great job, thank you SO much for posting those. As I mentioned above, all that information was in the literature that came with the kit. I was going to dig mine out and scan it but you beat me to it. It answers all the questions.

John, Panhead, we should probably group those together, in order, and copy them over to the Knowledge Base, is there a "tool" in the moderator control panel for doing that? I could give it a try.

mike
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

I made a single pdf file of the 11 jpgs(I also deleted the one jpg that was a combination of figures 3 & 4, duplicated on 2 other pages)

If it would make it any easier, I can send you the pdf file.
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

mike,

i'll look into it after a bit, it certainly belongs in the KB.

i had a substation catch on fire last night, i need to get a little sleep first.

john
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

If it would make it any easier, I can send you the pdf file
Please send it to me, then I'll submit it to the KB.
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

partshunt
Panhead Register Member
Bikes: 1917F
1923JD
1928JD
1929JD
1929 Indian Four cyl
1954 Harley FL
2007 FLHTC

Post by partshunt »

Andy: I'v been hunting for those Signal Lite instructions for quite a while. Thanks alot for submitting them. Mine is a 54FL so some of it is a bit unclear for earlier years. The pages you omitted I take it were just duplicates. Was there any other info there pertaing to pre 59?... Mine has the single lamp indicator on the handlebar requirong a three pin flasher but routing and clips etc is the important and hard to find info and these instruction sheets pretty well cover that ................Thanks..Joe
FlatHeadSix

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Joe,

The instruction sheets for the kit were provided by a group effort. Dan (harpo55) originally scanned and uploaded all the individual sheets to the gallery, then Andy (awander) pulled them all down, put them in order, removed the overlaps, and combined them as a single Adobe document. Panhead then moved them to the Knowledge Base and provided the link. That's why this is such a great forum, we have a lot of sharp people who are all trying to help each other.

The signal kit accessory was first offered in 1950 and was slightly different for the early kits. My '49 and your '54 should only have a single pilot or indicator lamp. The pilot lamp was mounted in a special bracket which replaced the cover between the upper handlebar mounts. As stated in the instructions for the later kits the resistence of all the bulbs in the circuit (including the pilot lamp) is part of the design for the circuit. If you do not have a pilot light the system will blink much slower than should. Same thing happens when you put low watt bulbs in the front or back bullets. If you put LED bulbs in any of the sockets it may not blink at all unless you add a resistor to the feed for the LED bulb. The blinking speed is determined by resistence in the entire circuit AND by the flasher rating. Sometimes you have to experiment with different resistors to get it where you want it based on the components you have installed.

mike
partshunt
Panhead Register Member
Bikes: 1917F
1923JD
1928JD
1929JD
1929 Indian Four cyl
1954 Harley FL
2007 FLHTC

Post by partshunt »

Yes, I understand, however, the resisters would have to be wired across the LED's and not in sereis. The LED are hi ohms, low current and not enough amps to heat the flasher armature bi-metal. A correct resister shuntad across the LED's would then increase current flow thru the flasher to activate it. I was just wondering on the missing pages, even tho they are mentioned as duplicates makes me think there may be other not so notable information in there, especially 54 era stuff. Why would the factory duplicate the instruction? Also, there should be a page with pics (cartoon) of the parts that are reffered by numbers. Be helpfull to see what some of the hardware looks like, that is the clips and harness etc. As I mentioned, my 54 has the single ind. lamp on the bars and requires the three pin flasher.........Joe
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

the missing page:
Turnsignal_Intsructions_P8.jpg
Turnsignal_Intsructions_P8.jpg (160.57 KiB) Viewed 918 times
It looks to be just a combo of 2 other pages to me.

Return to “Electrical”