Re: What type of regulator

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
1950Bobber

Post by 1950Bobber »

I use a separate electrical regulator by Cycle Electric. No need to repolarize the genny every time you disconnect the battery for servicing and it's a updated addition from using the old style mechanical regulator. You must use a standard generator with this separate electrical regulator, OEM gennys work great here.

You CANNOT run the Cycle Electric 12v generator with the end cap regulator when using this style regulator however, the separate electrical regulator is intended for the older style 12v unit.... ;)

Jim in Seattle "1950 Bobber"
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

CE's regulators are the finest on the market, but polarizing every time a wire is disconnected is still prudent!

....Cotten
1950Bobber

Post by 1950Bobber »

Prudent? Why...Just in case? It's not necessary. So IF it's NOT necessary, it stands to reason...prudent doesn't apply;)
norush

Post by norush »

I just ran the battery down after disconnecting the battery on my 62', 12 V with CE regulator. There was no charge voltage going to the battery. Remembering I had the battery disconnected several days before, I flashed the generator and re-started the bike without doing anything else to the charging system. 14.2 VDC to the battery on the re-start. I had the battery out two or three times before this incident and it charged the battery without flashing on those occassions. It only takes a second to flash the generator, so why take a chance?
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

It's not necessary.
Hi Jim(1950bobber:):

You have said it's unnecessary. Is it just you saying that it is not necessary? Or does Cycle Electric say so? If you are going to make a statement like that, I would like to see some backup for it.

I'm not saying you're wrong(I don't know), but so far all I see is what I guess is your opinion.

The reason to flash the generator is to make sure that it has enough residual magnetism, and in the right polarity, so charging will occur. Does changing the regulator make this unnecessary? How?
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

A generator is capable of reversing polarity so fast that it becomes an alternator. I have encountered it upon several machines where the ground was loose but still fastened. (Sportsters always seemed prone to it!)
A signature of the problem is when mechanical regulator points chatter and then weld themselves.

Solid State units do not have points to suffer, but a note instructing to polarize still comes in the box!

....Cotten
1950Bobber

Post by 1950Bobber »

Cotten....

Right out of my "Installation instruction for DGV-5000 Series Cycle Electric Generator with built in Regulator" pamphlet:

"This generator is polarized at the factory. No further polarization is needed."

Same with the mechanical regulator from Cycle electric.

Hope that helps ;)

Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Jim!

The DGV-5000 has an integral end-mount regulator.

This discussion clearly addressed separated regulator units.

....Cotten

Post by Guest »

Cotten wrote:Jim!

The DGV-5000 has an integral end-mount regulator.

This discussion clearly addressed separated regulator units.

....Cotten
True enough! But I added, "Same with the mechanical regulator from Cycle electric."

In July, I completed a 1700 mile run with my 1950 Panhead. I had the battery out of that bike, siiting on my workbench being trickle charged. I reinstallled the battery in my '50 Pan, did not ploarize as you suugest was prudent, completed the 1700 mile run without a single incident including any electrical problems.

I'm certainly no expert, I find it uncomfortable even being on the opposite side of a discussion knowing your vast knowledge about many mechanical issues. I can only add my experience here AND the DGV-5000 end-mount regulator installation information I previously contributed. I'll look to see if I can find anything written on my separate electrical regulator that says different.
1950Bobber

Post by 1950Bobber »

Ooops! That was me posted as "Guest"!

awander
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

Jim:

The recommendation for polarizingthe generator is "in case" it got polarized incorrectly, caused by disconnection or reconnection of electrical cmponents.

The fact that you have done this, without repolarizing, just means that you were lucky. I have also forgotten to repolarize moe than once, and have never had a problem that I could attribute to that. But maybe next time I will.

As Cotten said, it is prudent to repolarize whenever any part of the charging system is molested in any way.
1950Bobber

Post by 1950Bobber »

awander wrote:Jim:

The recommendation for polarizingthe generator is "in case" it got polarized incorrectly, caused by disconnection or reconnection of electrical cmponents.

The fact that you have done this, without repolarizing, just means that you were lucky. I have also forgotten to repolarize moe than once, and have never had a problem that I could attribute to that. But maybe next time I will.

As Cotten said, it is prudent to repolarize whenever any part of the charging system is molested in any way.
Lucky...I think not...just not falling for the "sky is falling" routine. But Andy...far from me to tell you do NOT do something you believe is "Prudent" because you don't have the correct answer that suits you. It would seem MORE "prudent" to get the answer to the question, then be a sheep and do something just because "its prudent"!!!

But that being what it may, I suppose you always wear your rubbers when it's cloudy outside, 'cause it certainly would be "prudent"!
Bikes: 1948 FL 74in Panhead Chopper , 1958 Zundapp Citation 500

Post by 108 »

Just this spring I had my 32E apart to check the bearings, etc., Put it back on and it was about 2 days before I realized it wasent charging much. A test showed only about 5 amps max. After a lot of wasted time I finaly thought to try re-polerizing and the output more than doubled ! I think a loss or reversal of polarity or magnatizem can be caused by many things you could be unaware of---bumping it against a hot wire, useing a drill or a soldering iron too close to the generator. Even hitting it with a hammer ! ?
awander
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

JIm:

Well-that's one way to look at it. :lol:

I certainly share your interest in the "why", and I think it has been answered(at least to my satisfaction) by the "it is possible for the connection and disconnection of certain parts of the charging system to cause the residual magnetism of the generator pole pieces to become reversed, which will cause the points on a mechanical regulator to arc and burn" explanation. Of course, if the generator does start to charge with reversed polarity, you will shortly have bigger problems as your battery gets fried-or fries the generator and regulator.

I don't think it is being a "sheep" and "falling for the sky is falling" to follow the recommendation written in every H-D service manual I have ever read-do you think those folks who wrote the manuals were just playing a joke on us?

I guess it's possible, "Hey, Fred, I'm gonna' write in here that they should "polarize" the generator whenever they do any work on the electrical system". "Oh, Harold, you are a card! Do yu really think anyone will fall for that line?"
1950Bobber

Post by 1950Bobber »

OK....I don't want to judge you polarizing guys...It is documented, polarizing it not necessary with end-mounted regulator for the Cycle Electric Generator.

As for OEM equipment, it's MORE than "prudent"...it's necessary to a healthy electrical system.

As for the separate electrical regulator...it needs more research. Until then, I'll concede to the polarizing crowd...that would be very "prudent" for me here in light of the overwhelming number of knowledgeable Panhead enthusiasts ;)

I can live with that...Peace!

Return to “Electrical”