Shimming generator

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Shimming generator

Post by Panacea »

I have a bit of gear whine, especially when the motor is hot. I checked the oil filter for debrix and found a very small amount of ferrous specks, no brass at all. I've never shimmed the generator and am looking for any tips on what shim material to use. I was thinking of trying a note card or something just to see if it makes a difference. Mike
51Hog
Bikes: 1951 Fl

Re: Shimming generator

Post by 51Hog »

I like making these shims with different thickness gasket material. I have also made them with thin cardboard stock.
You can still find the metal ones that were used originally. You can buy brass shim stock by the sheet.
Dale
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

Vol. 2 has a method for testing your current 32E generator lash by removing the front tappet block. If you use this method, you can remove the generator and or subtract shim stock to find the optimum lash for your particular situation. Easier than listening for the right (whine) mesh.
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

VT wrote:Easier than listening for the right (whine) mesh.
I'm not sure that pulling the covers, pushrods, and tappet block would be "easier", but it sure would be a more exact way to get it right.

With the stock quiet muffler and the windshield reflecting all the noise, the gear whine from my 32E is the loudest thing on my engine right now. Maybe I should try a little shimming too.

mike
Panacea

Post by Panacea »

Thanks guys, I should check my rollers anyway. I'm still wondering why my "whine" has gotten louder lately,though it has been hot. Mike
51Hog

Post by 51Hog »

I'm not sure that pulling the covers, pushrods, and tappet block would be "easier", but it sure would be a more exact way to get it right.
I also think it would be more work going in through the lifter block.
How would feeling such a small clearance be more accurate than actually measuring lash? Or am I mis-understanding the procedure in the book?
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

actually measuring lash
It is more work going through the front tappet, but you don't remove the gear cover. You could turn the armature, but that's even more work and your sense of "feel" is challenged and you don't get to check the circuit breaker and idler gear lash, which is important, because finding zero lash between those gears can be catastrophic.
I don't know how to "measure" lash.
You can definitely "feel" lash with the removed tappet guide.
You can "feel" push rod free-spin on solid lifter adjustments. I think there's more "feeling" to lash that "measuring", but I could be wrong.
There are other steps before the generator gear lash that you need to "feel" for first. If you buy the book for 65 bucks from Vintage Twin it includes shipping.
We've all spent 65 bucks and recieved less for the investment (like a funk dog meal at a restaurant) and pooped it out the next morning. If you buy the book, then there are other things you will find that may help you out with OHV Big Twins and you get to keep the book for use later.
Buying the book contributes towards the quarterly donations we make to this site.
51Hog

Post by 51Hog »

Check page 229 of Palmer's book.
If you don't have it, it is money well spent.
A lot of great info there.

I have your book--In fact, I have both books.
They are well written, however a lot of the info that is in both books is the same info, or very similar info that is in all of the other books.
There is also a lot of other info that is just common sense. There are a few tips that are really great.
For the price, I was expecting more.
Dale
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

And here's more info: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=712
Panacea

Post by Panacea »

I also found a reference in the panhead manual, page 106 they call for one metal shim on late panheads .014 thick. Then they say start out with three paper shims on top of that,.004 each. Mine is an early pan so I'll try just the three paper shims first. It looks to me without trying it that access thru the front lifter block hole would be a stretch. Mike
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

VT:

I gotta' say, also, I was hoping for more from the book. I only have Vol I right now, but I will probably spring for Vol II if I can get it at $65 including shipping. As 51hog said, there are a few real nuggets in there-and I love Panheads so much that it is worth it to me get another real book about them, that's not just a "coffee table book".

I am also taking into account the fact that you deserve to make something for the effort, and it is expensive to publish a well-made book. Luckily, I can afford it.
51Hog

Post by 51Hog »

I only have Vol I right now, but I will probably spring for Vol II if I can get it at $65 including shipping.
I do not need the books. If you would like my vol II shipped to you for that, PM me with your address, and it will be on the way. I read the book once and it is still in perfect condition.
Dale

Return to “Electrical”