Replacing Dash Light Sockets

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Ripley/Fla
Inactive member

Replacing Dash Light Sockets

Post by Ripley/Fla »

I have Fleabayed around and found some original dash parts. Before I ruin something, can you remove the dash light sockets by unscrewing what looks like a ring on the bottom? The ring has one notch or recess in it. Thanks for any info!
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

i believe they are swaged in from the top.

you may be able to carefully bend in the flared section and push it through top to bottom.

john
Perry Ruiter
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: ?

Post by Perry Ruiter »

These sockets are crimped together and pressed into the dash base. They don't unscrew and I think you'd be hard pressed to disassemble one, get it back together and end up with something you'd want to use.
Now for the plug - I offer a dash base socket replacement service (I'm a guest so can't post a URL, but google ruiter dash base and take the first hit). Let me know if I can be of service ... Perry

Perry's website: http://www.ruiter.ca/mc/
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Ripley,
Perry is correct, the socket itself was crimped to the base plate by the manufacturer. Do it yourself home repair is difficult and usually not very successful unless you can duplicate the original press and die.

The most common cause of failure on the old sockets is a combination of rusty spring and broken insulater disc. If the socket is still solid and firmly attached to the base you can usually get them working again by pulling all the guts out, cleaning up the bare socket, and then replacing the wire, the spring and the bakelite disc using the new components from the replacement socket. Depending on the application, some of the sockets are also insulted from the dash plate and have a separate ground wire. Use an ohm meter and make sure the insulated socket is still insulated and the grounded socket is still grounded. The notch you noted is an index for the bakelite disc.

If you don't feel comfortable attempting it yourself you won't find a better guy to repair it than Perry, he's one of the few craftsmen left in the business and his work is top notch.

mike
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

I'll second that recommendation on Perry.
VPH-D

Return to “Electrical”