Dash wiring isolation

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Rider54

Dash wiring isolation

Post by Rider54 »

Have an original 3 light dash and want to use it with the rehab of my '54/'58. Ran into something I'm not sure about and thought one of you guys might have an answer.
Of the 3 light sockets only 1 is isolated (the oil light - far right side). The other two are grounded to the dash. The other two are the generator light and the neutral light. By the schematic the generator light is wired one end to the regulator(think T2) and the other to the battery(+). That would seem to need an isolated socket as well. The neutral light requires one lead to power and the other lead to the neutral switch (ground when neutral) also needing an isolated socket. So with all this in mind the only way this dash would work is for the dash to be hot (+) and the socket leads to be grounded or in the case of the generator light to regulator output. Just can't imagine the dash being hot. The entire thing would have to be isolated from the frame.
I am most likely missing something really easy about this and just can't see the forest for the trees.

Any help for this confused soul?
Perry Ruiter
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: ?

Re: Dash wiring

Post by Perry Ruiter »

All three sockets must be isolated. All three should be two wire type sockets. As you say the generator and netural lights are grounded externally from the base. The second wire from each goes to a hot terminal on the base. If your sockets are wrong or wrecked I can restore them ... Perry

http://www.ruiter.ca/mc/services/dashbases/

Return to “Electrical”