Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
King
Inactive member
Bikes: *

6V charging question, GEN dash light.flickering

Post by King »

Over the last few months my GEN dash light has been flickering on. I figured the generator commutator on my 6V 32E needed a bit of a clean-up so I pulled it and discovered the third brush had broken. There was about a 3/8” stub left and it was still making partial contact but I reconned that was the culprit.
I called Dale Cashman who did an excellent re-build of the genny a few years ago and he promptly sent a new brush out (Big Thanks Dale!!) and I installed it. Cranked the bike up but the GEN light still flickers. It dims at RPMs above 2000 but never completely goes off. Headlight on or off, no difference, but strangely when I hit the brake light it goes off.
The headlight is a bright white and the horn emits a high pitched bleep so the system appears to be charging properly. As a test, I hooked up a multi-meter to the generator and at high idle I got about 7.5 volts at the RELAY post and about 5 volts at the SWITCH, post. On the voltage regulator (stock Delco Remy) I got 7.5V at the post connected to the generator, the same at the BAT post, but at the third post the needle swung between 2 and 5 volts.
The 7.5V going to the battery seems a bit high and the 2-5 V at the other post way low. I suspect the regulator is a bit off. Should I replace it or can it be“tuned up”?

Thanks

King
Rammy
Former member
Bikes: -

Re: 6V charging question

Post by Rammy »

King,
I will put my 2 cents in, First with the three brush gen you don`t have a regulator . You have a cutout switch that looks like a small regulator. the 3rd brush is adjustable so when you turn your lites on it connects up so the gen will keep up with the amp draw of the lites. If all is wired and working correctly the gen should put out about 4 amps with the lights off or about the same with the lights on. This can be checked by using an amp gage hooked between the battery ground post and battery ground wire. Its a bit of a guessing game for the proper charge with the three brush setup....
Sounds like you have maybe a wiring thing going on , check brush wires in gen for rub spots on the isolation ext. ::)good luck
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Re: 6V charging question, GEN dash light.flickering

Post by awander »

The 3rd brush is connected all the time, and powers the first field coil. Turning the lights on powers the 2nd field coil.

Return to “Electrical”