Horseshoe oil tank & battery box for sealed battery

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Sidecar
Bikes: -

Horseshoe oil tank & battery box for sealed battery

Post by Sidecar »

I've got a 12 volt battery and box that came from V-Twin that holds the 12N5.5A-3B which happens to be 4 1/16 long x 3 19/32 wide x 4 1/2 tall ( inches).

Is this the "normal" size for the panhead battery box ?

I was going to jump to a maintenance free battery but I see they that they start at 4 1/2 inches long. The inside of the box measures 4 1/4 inches long. Sounds like a real tight fit to me.

Anyone have a 12 volt sealed battery cat number that fits this box ??

Any suggestions ??

I may have to drop this one onto a buddy of mine that sells batteries and see what he comes up with.

Thanx
Randy
dj

Re: Horseshoe oil tank & battery box

Post by dj »

You could trash the box, and fit a couple of 2"X4"'s.....cut to size underneath, then fit a partially inflated bicycle tube or some other suitable spacing material around the battery.

I've seen that done.

(Edit) Sorry if you just bought the box, I'm just frustrated with the whole idea of the 12N5.5A-3B battery. I suppose it would be OK if you are just running a headlight and tail light, but I don't like the idea of a low amperage system. I want to be able to run spots and running lights, and maybe an occasional stereo, without having to worry about anything. Robust Rat Deluxe is what I'm going for.
Good luck with whatever works out.

Dave
Sidecar

Post by Sidecar »

Post by Sidecar on Mar 22, 2005, 2:10pm

Thanx for the thoughts Dave.

I don't run the "extra" stuff but a bigger sealed battery would be just fine with me.
I'm going to do some digging and see what I can unearth. I would prefer to fit the box, but it looks as if it's modification time.
kell

Post by kell »

Don't forget you can turn a sealed battery on its side. Some batteries that are shorter than they are wide will fit this way. I have a sealed battery I got from allelectronics.com that fits my horseshoe tank when turned on end, though the battery's too long when "right side up."
Sidecar

Post by Sidecar »

Thanx Kell
I had another person tell me this also. I was a little afraid of doing this because of all the years with lead/acid batteries. I think it's time to do it.
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

That funny extension box actually works.
And so does the dinky battery, as long as you get a new one each spring. They aren't a major investment.
Most complaints about this arrangement originate at the voltage regulator. Generics pump more voltage back into the battery than it can take when cooking inside of the oiltank. The box allows an airgap, and a low-voltage regulator takes care of the rest.
I think that Cycle-Electric is the only source (CE-102L).
57pan
Inactive member

Post by 57pan »

Sidecar,

I purchased a 12v, 12a/h, battery for my 57. It's an AGM - totally sealed - no danger of acid leaking out and it will fit in the space of the old 6v battery. The size is 5.96 x 3.88 x 4.02 but since it is sealed you can turn it up on its end to fit inside the horseshoe tank.
I can't report on the longevity of these units because I just put it in last summer.
I've been pretty happy with it - the only drawback is the spade terminal connections on the battery. I had on vibrate off once and the motor died when dropped down to an idle at a stop.

I bought it locally, but here is a link:
http://www.batterystuff.com/battery/batteries.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scroll down and look for model ES 12-12.
ArizonaMike
Inactive member

Post by ArizonaMike »

Hi,

Possibly this sealed battery may be helpful:
It's 6 1/2" tall, 5" wide, and 3" deep, front-to back. It's made by East Penn Mfg. Co., at http://www.eastpenn-deka.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's a 14 amp-hour with 190 CCA, model ETX15.

Return to “Electrical”