Generator/regulator: having problems with charging system

biff

Generator/regulator: having problems with charging system

Post by biff »

Hopefully some can help me. I have a stock 54 pan converted to 12 volt. I'm running a Bosch style generator with harley 65 generator. I was having problems with the charging system so I bought a new Accel Bosch style regulator. I decided to have the generator checked at the same time. The shop informed me the armature was fried so I bought a new generator from Cycle Shack. I made sure I polarized it. Bike now has some miss firing, generator light dims when revving but never goes completely out. Also gen light seems to pulsate to engine when idling. Maybe I need to make sure I wired the regulator properly. B+ to battery obviously, DF to F on generator, D+ to A on generator, ground to a ground. The guy I bought the bike from is using a stock wiring harness, one wire from this harness comes from dash(probably to gen light) hooked up to DF terminal.I left that wire there & hooked another wire from DF to F on gen. Is it wired correctly or can anyone think of anything I"m missing? Battery has full charge.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: Generator/regulator

Post by Cotten »

Try wiring the generator light to the armature terminal instead.

And you would be wise to have the regulator and generator re-tested.

I have good luck with Argentinian Bosches and generics when used with a CE generator and sportster battery on Chiefs, but they do not have the oiltank heat concern.

If possible, you may want your regulator adjusted for your application, in order to extend your battery's life.

Beware also, that if your original generator was a true Model 65, your replacement will have the terminals switched opposite to a Model 65a conformity.

(And save me your "worthless" core!)
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

Hay Cotton, I like that WORTHLESS core comment.
biff

Post by biff »

I never said or implied that the original generator was worthless. I have the original and will rebuild it in time. The new generator is not an import and is made in the USA by the same company that made them originally for Harley. I bought new one so I could be back on the road right away.
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

Sorry Biff , it was some comic relief on my part . We all know the core of anything Org. on an HD is worth a lot.
biff

Post by biff »

Hello Cotton,
I switched wire for gen light to armature and it works properly. The new generator is a CE, I don't know where or how I came up with Cycle Shack(late nite). My original gen is a true model 65 at least according to the housing. You mentioned that the new one will have the terminals switched opposite to a Model 65a conformity. If this is the case can you tell me the proper wiring? I'm going to test the gen & reg tonite.
Many thanks again

update
Checked generator & regulator today, both are working & charging battery.

Return to “Generator”