Ignition switch started messing up

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
chucktx

Ignition switch started messing up

Post by chucktx »

went for a midnight ride this evening, it is to hot during the day, and the ign switch started messing up. the bike would shut off while going down the road. i hit the switch with my hand and it would make contact and i could proceed. the switch is on a 65 pan and is original.....wonder if warrany is still valid?? lol lol. anyway i got in a few catalogs and saw a few replacements, but also saw "electronic" type replacements......no contacts or pole to bar, which is where i think my problem is. any input on these new style switches?? the old one lasted 40 years, but i am not sure on the quality of the new "pole and bar" switches.....thanks
chucktx
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Re: Ignition switch started messing up

Post by Jack_Hester »

Chuck -

Before you go too far in your looking for a replacement, try looking your original over to try to find the problem. It may be that the crossbar contactor is worn, and needs replacing. These switches are/were very rebuildable. OEM components can still be found, with some searching. Look in your OEM parts book, and see if there isn't a breakdown of the switch.

Jack
RussW
Bikes: 1961 FL
2007 Kaw. Vulcan 2000

Post by RussW »

I made the "switch" to the electronic style when my stock one wore out. It is not a trouble-free change over, since they are a 6-pole switch, not a 5-pole like stock. You will need to reconfigure your wireing to find the right terminals on the switch you need. Also, the terminals are much lower on the electronic, bringing them very close to the dash plate at the rear. I had to notch the dash plate to give a little more clearance. So it can work, it's smooth operating, but you might want to investigate parts for the stock one like Jack said. I never did, didn't even think I could ever find them. But DON'T bother with the cheap import mechanical 5-post switches, they are junk
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

I gave the switch on one of my '65s a new life by just rotating the contactor bar to an unworn spot with a pair of needlenose pliers.

The 45 Solo manuals give an excellent breakdown on the switch, but there is little in the big twin manuals.
chucktx

Post by chucktx »

thanks for the input ya'll......i think i will look into the repair of the old switch.......any leads to where a person can locate the parts??? i will also look into moving the contactor........again, thanks
chucktx
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

Chuck -

Try NOSparts, in Ohio. Or, Wayback Wheels.

Jack
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

Picture: Image
chucktx

Post by chucktx »

thanks for the diagram, panhead. i will let ya'll know how i make out.........again, thanks for the info

ya'll........thanks for the input and advise. i cleaned the contacts and bar, did a bit of lubing and so far it is as good as ever...time will tell, but the switch works smoother, and is not losing contact anymore.....thanks again!!
chucktx

Return to “Electrical”