Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
hplhd
Bikes: 1998 heritage springer
1959 FLH

Electrical problems with switch

Post by hplhd »

Some wires just taped of and nothing really following the manual

i can run my 64 duoglide with the switch in the on pos. when i turn it 1 more turn for lights it shorts out. my question and i know this can be subjective(don't ask were that f'ing word came from) i pulled the dash cover and headlight nacelle to find some wires just taped of and nothing really following the manual. i'm not sure to track down and fix the bad wire/s or just order a harness. i replaced the switch with a new one i had around, didn't help. if i order a harness is jp a ok place or can you recommend a place to buy one.
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Re: Switch: electrical problems

Post by fourthgear »

hplhd1
Do you have a diagram from a tech. manual around? Does it still short out with the dash removed ? Some times the terminals short out against it .The short is most likely between the switch and terminal plate or terminal box or of course any light fixture ,even the indicator lights on the dash itself. If you look at the diagram you can disconnect the wires from the switch that go to both of the terminal locations for lights and see if it still shorts out ( it shouldn't;t if it is wired like the diagram )if it does not short out , you can just touch the individual wires to there respective places on the switch briefly ( with switch on lights )to see which one is got the grounded wire. Once you find out which end you has the grounded wire you need to isolate it further by disconnecting individual wires and or inspecting them to see which one is the culprit. That also means you may have to remove tanks ,fenders ect. to see where the grounded wire is and this is if you are wired by stock diagram. Finding your grounded wire may be easy as one of the wires you have taped off or a complete look and test of your whole system. If you have a multi meter and know how to use it ,it will make thing faster. Green on # 2 term. @ switch goes to head light and Green to # 4 term. @ switch is for tail light, should isolate the lighting circuits to both terminal board/ box's .
hplhd
1959 FLH

Post by hplhd »

fourthgear, i thought i knew how to read a meter till i started messing with this.lol i havn't pulled the tanks yet but it cuts out even with out the dash on. the terminal block on the forks is not wired anything like the shop manual. i tried pulling 1wire at a time to try to isolate that way but i got so flusterd i wanted to take a match to it. i realy need to pull everything like you said so i can see were the wires are running. the harness is so worn i can get my horn to blair by pushing around the wires in the dash. sometimes smoke will escape from the wires and i don't want to lose to much as i know there is a limited amount of smoke stored in them.lol any suggestions on a good wire harness
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

I make my own up ,but thats me and I've had a lot of experience at it so its not a problem, with me that is ! Wiring harnesses can be had at any of the catalog places , JP cycle , Jireh cycles ect. If ya want to go stock they have them with the cloth type covering on them like org.. I get mine at NAPA in spools of the proper colors and use wire looms to chase the wires in ,also picked up there. It takes some time to do a good wire job and I always add an extra wire from term. box and term. board in case I want to add power to something down the line. Good luck, cause you are going to need it if you have a butcher job on you hands and may be the best thing is to start from scratch to get it right and dependable.
hplhd
1959 FLH

Post by hplhd »

thanks fourthgear, i will prob order a harness for the 64.i am going to tear my 59 rigid bobberjobberdobber composite down and try to make up a very simple wiring job from an old tech sheet i got. it will be a hell of a learning experience for me. i need to calm down and take my time.
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

Yes a cool head is good for productivity when taking on any electrical job. Good luck , the org. HD diagrams are pretty simple by todays standards.
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

hello,
try these sites:

http://www.ripper1.com/tech/wiring/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ironcross.net/Wiring.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.shovelhead.at/html/plaene.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mbskeam
hplhd
1959 FLH

Post by hplhd »

thanks for the the sites mike and panhd. the simpler the better for me.lol
BigMike
Bikes: 01 FLHPI
64 FLH
Various partials....

Post by BigMike »

I went through a similar problem with my '64. I ended up rewiring the dash, switch, and terminal boards. (the terminal boards were both missing) Haven't had a problem since. I was originally going to go the whole new harness route, but I think the root of my troubles was that the dash idiot lights were replacements, and not installed in the dash base correctly, and the switch was the later style, (with one extra terminal) that the previous owner wired incorrectly. Make sure you use the drawing in the HD manual for the correct year. Even at a slow careful pace, it's only a half day job, including refreshment breaks.
hplhd
1959 FLH

Post by hplhd »

bigmike, it has been ok for the last couple of years since i bought it, even tho there is a little creative wiring going on. if it stops raining and i get some time iGOT to pull the tanks. standing there cussing at it hasn't helped.
mike did you end up going with a new harness

Return to “Electrical”