gpp3442
Former member
Bikes: *

Polarize regulator or generator?

Post by gpp3442 »

Description: what do I need to polarize the gen or the reg

Gentlemen,
I am in the process of re-wiring my 57. 12 volt 2 brush ce generator
mechanical bosch regulator what do I need to polarize the gen or the reg?
I.ve seen the instructions in other threads but still am not sure when they say to flash a wire to the battery am I hooking up an additional lead to do the flash?

Thank you,
George iii
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: Polarize regulator or generator?

Post by Cotten »

Whoa now!

It is not necessary (nor adviseable) to disconnect any wiring.

In fact, most literature advises to re-polarize if any disconnections have occurred! This is explicit in the Factory service manual.

After complete installation, merely take a length of wire and touch one end to the positive terminal of the battery (or any hot lead), and tap the other upon the "A" terminal of the generator to make a spark.

This is is equivalent to the above instructions, without the complications of isolating the generator. You are then safely polarizing the system as a whole.
gpp3442
Former member
Bikes: *

Post by gpp3442 »

Mr Cotten,
Thank you for your instructions.
Almost done with all new wiring, something I should not have been afraid to do right from the start. I looked up polarization to further understand it's properties, sort of humbled trying to read the scientific explanation, but understood what it produces as far a rotation etc...
I was wondering are there any benefits to changing the regulator to one of the more modern fin style, although if it did help I certainly would have to find a deep dark spot to mount it. To me they are not as cool looking( but if she would be happy so would I) as the mechinical I have now.
Thanks,
GEORGE III
panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Post by panfreak »

Thanks for jumping in Cotten, I certainly would not want anyone to get BAD advice. Although I must add in my defence that I was only repeating a copy of instructions that were included with my electronic regulator. I have used your method as well, but thought that written instructions from the manufacturer may be worth something. Dang. I don't know what to say.
I think Ill just go blow on some more gas caps LOL

Don't ever let it be said that I never admit when I may be wrong, after all, it's about LEARNING isn't it?
kell

Post by kell »

Hey panfreak
you get a better buzz if you huff directly from the tank :o

George
I'll try my hand at explaining how the genny works.
Inside the generator case it has a couple of big hunks of soft iron with wire coiled around them. They are just two big electromagnets. These are called pole shoes or the field. Wires from these electromagnets are connected to the terminals, A and F, of the generator. When you run some current into the A terminal it goes through the elctromagnets, out the F terminal and back to ground. The current sets up a magnetic field in the iron of the pole shoes, and even after you remove the current the soft pole shoe iron retains a bit of magnetization. This weak magnetic field is enough to get things started the next time the generator starts spinning, after which the generator creates its own current out of the A terminal to run the electromagnets.
The A terminal is also connected to the armature, the part of the generator that puts out the juice, so that's how it powers its own magnetic field when it's running. But there has to be a little bit of a field in the pole shoes to get things started, and you get it by polarizing the generator. But "polarizing" in this case really means magnetizing.
1950 Bobber

Post by 1950 Bobber »

Hello guys...I'd like to open "gpp 3442" comment...would someone explain the benefits or disadvantages of running the newer "fin-type" regulators on a Pan...mine is a 1950 FL....sure am interested! Thanks.
Jim
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

The advantage of CE's endmount regualtor is that it has a feedback circuit to protect the armature if you ever brazenly attempt to charge a dead battery by running the machine.

The disadvantage is that it limits the interchangeability of parts with original units, interferes with footclutches, and is butt-ugly.
1950 Bobber

Post by 1950 Bobber »

Man that opinion was clear! It can be hidden however (at least to the untrained, and "{looking-for-the-voltage-regulator-type eye")....in front and under the generator....but I do agree..BUTT UGLY! After reading more posts...I also understand it lacks the voltage limiting ability to the battery? Must be the reason the prior owner of my Pan thought he got such great charging voltage.....or am I off base there? Thanks for the replys though!
Jim
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

I believe all solid state regulators have current limiting capabilities, that makes them superior to analog type (point type ) regulators . Of course the specialty low output units for small battery's limit the output even more to protect the battery in adverse conditions . ( surrounded by hot oil) That pertains to liquid filled battery's that are prone to over heating in such environments. There is a special solid state reg. for Generators and another for Alternators.

Return to “Electrical”