Tool battery

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
woodie47

Tool battery

Post by woodie47 »

Has anyone tried a tool battery, like Makita, Dewalt what ever? I know they can charge fast or slow, and have a lot of power. Sure would be conveniant to just plug one in.
kell

Re: Tool battery

Post by kell »

It would kill a ni-cad or nimh to put one on a vehicle. Bad idea.
Not enough room here to explain why, but to study up on different battery chemistries go to http://www.batteryuniversity.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BigMike
Bikes: 01 FLHPI
64 FLH
Various partials....

Post by BigMike »

Try a UB-13-6 Sealed non-spillable lead acid battery. (the kind used in some emergency lights) they run about $20. They have spade terminals, so you can crimp short pigtails on and tape them so they don't vibrate loose. The battery is 13 AH vs 20AH, but if you don't run a whole bunch of lights, spots, signals, etc. it works fine. it's shorter so you will have to block it with spacers so the top will hold it in place. If you are running a bagger, you can toss one in your saddlebags for emergency use, they are cheap and tough enough for most routine riding.
woodie47

Post by woodie47 »

Where would you find such a battery? Bike shop, Electrical supplier, where?
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 »

If you've converted to 12V and you want a really nice sealed battery that will fit in the old oil tank check out the YUASA YTZ14S. This is a 14amp battery that has performed great for me. MUCH better then the old 5.5amp 12V batteries that are common in the 12V conversions. Here is a photo of the 5.5amp next to the YTZ14S:
normal_DCP_2118small.JPG
normal_DCP_2118small.JPG (35.08 KiB) Viewed 646 times
-Craig
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

hey,
how many $$$?
where did you get this?
how long have you had it, or how long do they last?
mbskeam
BigMike
Bikes: 01 FLHPI
64 FLH
Various partials....

Post by BigMike »

woodie- I found mine at an electrical components supplier, Battery Depot and the like will have them too.
woodie47

Post by woodie47 »

Can all sealed lead acid batteries be mounted in any direction? I found the YUSASA battery on the internet for $87.75. Sorta pricey but less than HD.I found some others for around $30 but dont know if they can be turned sideways.
xnoahx

Post by xnoahx »

you just need to make sure its a sealed battery. I run the yuasa ytz14s also and it has worked great for months now.
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 »

Mike,

I just put the YUASA battery in my bike back in June so I don't have a long term history. I paid around $85 for it at that time. So I figure I will need to last about 3 years to break even with the 5.5amp battery 12V battery I replaced. Here are what I see at the real advantages of this battery:

* No acid to spill out and ruin paint
* 14amp eliminates all the light flicker at idle
* Lots of power for spark on cold mornings
* I do expect it to outlast the 5.5amp batteries long enough to break even (time will tell).

Even if I don't break even, I prefer this battery just because it can't overflow. I haven't touched this thing since I installed it.

Oh... and I did something stupid on Tuesday. I came home, pulled in the garage and hit the kill switch. Got distracted and left the key on with the lights burning. Went inside. Came out 2 hours later, said "Oh crap!" when I saw the key hangin' there. Light was dark. Turned off the key and let it sit for 5 minutes, key on (ignition only, no lights) and kicked it one time and she started right up. There was enough reserve in the battery after letting it recover for a few minutes. I don't think I would have gotten away with that with the little 5.5amp battery.

-Craig
Rammy
Former member
Bikes: -

Post by Rammy »

Try battarystuff.com , I got one of the sealed glass mat battarys from them not to long ago. Hollowed out a 6v battary then put the AGM battary on end in there. Much more power and they have better storage with less loss of volts. no mess. Battary Stuff has many sizes to pick from and many amp rates ext. It`s the only modern way to go I think.
I also converted my 32e 6 generator to 12v with 45 parts depot kit and the lookalike rely regulator.
Using the 6v battary case and this conversion looks totaly stk. :D

Return to “Electrical”