Key switch problem

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
daveyb

Key switch problem

Post by daveyb »

A strange problem developed recently. almost every time when i turn my key on to kick, the engine pops. not sure what i should look for outside the switch itself. anyone had this problem? it's annoying on accounta it messes up my starting procedure.
57pan
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Re: Key switch problem

Post by 57pan »

Are you saying that you give it a couple "priming" kicks then turn the ignition on and one cylinder fires? If so, I assume you are also getting some kick-back? All this would lead me to think that the timing needs to be retarded a little bit more when you start it.

Of course, if it never did this before and it just started doing it AND you are absolutely sure that you have not done anything or changed anything else, then I would be wondering why the timing has changed. Maybe the gap on the points has changed because they are pitted or the circuit breaker shaft bushings are getting sloppy? Could be lots of things I suppose.

But, if you have done anything or changed anything recently (I don't care what it might have been) I would start looking there first. The cause and effect relationship may not be obvious but when you change something and then something strange happens it's probably not a coincidence.
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

Sounds like shes firing on open points when ign. is turned on ,may be condenser is getting weak but as 57pan has said ,recheck points , timing , plugs and change the condenser just for kicks , they are not expensive and should be changed regularly any way.
daveyb

Post by daveyb »

fellas, i forgot to mention, it has electronic ignition. mallory distributor. it's a '62 pan motor. i haven't done anything as far as timing. yes i prime it a couple of times and then turn the key on and it fires. not every time but seems like more and more lately. thanks for the suggestions and help. dave
57pan
Inactive member

Post by 57pan »

Aaah... that puts it in an entirely different light. Eliminates points and condenser, but it could still be a that the timing slipped or that the auto-advance is stuck in the full advanced position. Or it could be the Mallory ignition module is starting to puke and it just decides to fire as soon as the ignition is turned on. Double-check all of the wiring to the Mallory and make sure there are no loose connections or wires that the insulation has worn thru. I think I recall seeing a troubleshooting and test procedure on the Mallory web site.
daveyb

Post by daveyb »

57pan i have the same suspicion as you. it sure acts like the timing is advanced on starting. it runs like a champ other than this annoying issue. i'll look at it today and definitely check out that mallory website. thanks again, dave
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

A Mallory, well thats not points . I have one of those contraptions on mine , works great, make sure you have a good ground ,clean the connection if ya have to, that plug for the ign. wires can also get funky, unplug it if you used it and clean if needed, I think ground wire color is brown( green for ign. signal to coil and red for 12V power source ) ,I had to go look. Timing with a strobe type light and having a tachometer ( tiny tac is a nice tool ) to make sure the rpm's are over the mech. advance systems fully adv. point . I got lucky I aliened the two arrows and she was dead on. Usually when an electronic any thing goes bad , they usually just quit working.
daveyb

Post by daveyb »

that's the only thing about E-ignition. with points you can just look at 'em and tell if they're shot. the unit seems fine to me. obviously it fires a good spark, the auto advance is fine, i turn it and it snaps right back like it's supposed to. maybe i should retard it just a c-hair and see if that helps.
Sidecar

Post by Sidecar »

My Mallory does the same thing. Timing is dead nuts on ( with a light). It has been doing this ever since it was installed. About a year, I think.

Return to “Electrical”