Low charge to the battery from the 6-volt system

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
DKA

Low charge to the battery from the 6-volt system

Post by DKA »

Howdy y'all from Texas -
I've got three HDs: an '03 Dyna, an '02 RK, and a '65 panhead. I've had the pan for several years now and enjoy scooting around on it. She's been a loyal old piggie, but a tad bit grumpy sometimes.
She was originally a Cop bike from Dartmouth, Virginia. She has an factory hand-shifter and a rocker clutch. Ooooh...cherry!
Only prob I'm having is a low charge to the battery from the 6-volt system. If I trickle charge the system to top off the battery, I can ride for several days w/o any worries. But I'm thinking about converting to a 12 volt system and would appreciate any input from the masses if you would be so kind.
Also: she's a bear to start after sitting for a couple of weeks. Takes forever to get her to fire. I know...just ride more. But with three bikes I have quite a rotation.
Regards,
DKA
52Chopper

Re: Low charge to the battery from the 6-volt system

Post by 52Chopper »

Oh to have the rotation problem.... kidding! Welcome to this great website. If you scroll through it you will find discussions on all sorts of issues, including your 6v vs 12v questions and more... Enjoy!
dereborn
Former member
Bikes: .

Post by dereborn »

I echo what 52 chopper said - welcome aboard, and I think the electrics are one of the most common topics in this great forum, so if you do a search on this subject you'll have lots of good reading!
BigMike
Bikes: 01 FLHPI
64 FLH
Various partials....

Post by BigMike »

'65.... 6Volt ??? shouldn't it be a 12V ? My 65 was 12V from the git-go. Same as the Generator Shovels.
kevsett
Bikes: 1964 FL

Post by kevsett »

I thought that 64 was the last year of 6 volt and foot clutch/hand shift, not to mention kickstarting?
My rotation problem is a '00 FLSTC versus a '64 FL.
However, if kickstarting and hand shifting/foot clutching isn't enough of a chore in stop and go traffic, add in the fact that the panhead consistently runs lousy........and you'll see why I'm spending so much time on the softail.
I'm vowing to get the panhead running right during this off season of cold weather here in KC.
DuoDave
Bikes: duo

Post by DuoDave »

Seems a bit odd, as 65 saw the introduction of the Electra-Glide with 12 volts and electric start. I guess the factory were using up old stock, or maybe the Police Dept. were a touch conservative? I converted my Pan to 12 volts and am using the alternator conversion you see listed in most of the catalogues. It is very simple, lightweight and compact and so far I am very happy with it.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Actually, the 12v system came out in '64.
I have three '65 Police Specials with tank shift, but all are 12v.
It is not unlikely that some police units were put out with 6v systems, but they could never have had electric starters.
Note also that the Model65 generator has its brushes aligned like a 6v. They were reversed for the common Model 65A.
53rigidrider
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by 53rigidrider »

Howdy!
I'm still running a 6-volt system and have no problems with it. Why not get another battery?
J&P cycles carry some good 6-volts, regardless if your bike was originally set up fot it or not.
If it's a genuine '65 with electric start, it should be a 12-volt.
Hmmmmmmmm..........;D

Return to “Electrical”