6 to 12 volt conversion advantages

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Ohio-Rider
Bikes: *

6 to 12 volt conversion advantages

Post by Ohio-Rider »

I've been riding Sportsters my entire life till last summer when I purchased my dream bike a 56 Pan. The bike is 80% original and still using the 6 volt charging system. I'm hoping someone can tell me if converting over to 12 volt system would help me in getting this beast started. I'm the same age as the bike and kicking this thing 7 to 8 times to get it running is taking a toll on this old mans leg. Once I get it started I have no complaints. It will idle on it's own and runs strong. I don't have a problem plunking down the $300. bucks or so for the conversion but I'd like to know that it would be money well spent first. Any one have any thoughts on this subject?
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

I can't imagine your starting problems are caused by your 6V system. I would check your carb and ignition first.
DuoDave
Bikes: duo

Post by DuoDave »

Sounds like the dreaded Evil Manifold Leak!
Ohio-Rider

Post by Ohio-Rider »

Thanks for the info guys. I guess I'll save my money and forget about converting over to 12 volt system for now. Let me give a little more background of what I'm dealing with. The bike is a 56FLH with a S&S Super carb(don't know the size) and still using the mannual advance distibutor. When the engine is cold I've been retarding the advance,giving it full choke and NOT touching the throttle. I've tried giving it a couple primer squirts but that only makes things worse so I don't touch the throttle any more. On occasion after kicking for a while I can smell gasoline but if I pull the plugs there bone dry.??? Enough about when the engine is cold. After the engine warms up it will normally start on the first kick as long as I don't touch the throttle. If I do touch the throttle it's for sure I'll be kicking for a while. Even holding the throttle wide open at this point makes little differance. Hey DouDave can I check for a manifold leak by spray misting some gas around it while running and listen for rpm increase or is there a better way?
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

Pantony
Inactive member
Bikes: 1948

manifold leaks

Post by Pantony »

Bro; you got a manifold leak, here you go; take off the pushrod covers and close your valves up (adjust them shut), take a shop-vac and reverse the flow so it blows rather than sucks, then stick the hose in the carb and spray soap on the intake (windex spray bottle) youl find your leak. My 48FL after 2 priming kicks starts one kick EVERY time!

Oh, throw away that S & S carb and put the Linkert that was on there in the first place, like god and Harley-Davidson intendid
Ohio-Rider

Post by Ohio-Rider »

Thanks everyone for the food for though. Can't wait for the weather to break to try some of your idea's for starting this thing. I've got a feeling it's just me needing to learn what kind of fore-play this old girl needs. I'll defenitly do that manifold leak test before firing her up for first time this spring. Also have converted to 12V system this winter and I'll see how that goes. I'm rebuilding a rear star-hub tonight so you guy's will likely hear from me again tomorrow.

Return to “Electrical”