Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Fixman
Inactive member
Bikes: -

6 Volt LED Bulbs

Post by Fixman »

Mike provided this link http://www.superbrightleds.com/other_bulbs.htm This outfit has 6 volt 1157 dual contact base, cluster LED replacement bulbs. (Thanks MIke)

Is the 1157 the right form factor for our six volt tail lights?

Will it provide a brighter light than our standard incandescent bulbs?

Kent
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Kent,

The LEDs are a LOT brighter than the incandescent filament bulb. Also, take the company's advice and use the red LED bulb behind the red tail light lens. I tried it both ways and the red bulb is actually brighter than the white one.

The reason I didn't mention putting an LED in the tombstone tail light is that the 15mm bayonet base LEDs originally were only available in a straight bulb. They are very directional, most of the light is projected straight away from the base, so in a tombstone it puts most of the light upwards through the clear lens and all you get is a blinding glare off of your license plate. They now offer a right-angle bulb with a 15mm bayonet base, I'm going to order one and see if it fits in the tombstone.

I'll let you know how it works after I try one.

mike
Fixman
Inactive member

Post by Fixman »

Mike, I think I will try the 1157-x19-6V LED cluster bulb. I have the stock tail light on my 57 and wonder if I will get any light to the license plate with the configuration of the LED cluster. I know I need the red LED bulb and that would seem to make the license plate illumination even more doubtful. Hey for $7.95 it is sure worth a try.

Kent
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

here is an interesting LED setup for non stock applications or for those of you into hot rods. http://www.visibolt.com/

i put a set of the license plate bolts on my fatboy.

(yeah i know, i was gonna have to fess up sooner or later. i never ride it though!)

john :oops:
Skip
Bikes: 48 pan
81 shovel
01 softail std
04 heritage
08 roadking
72 ct70

Post by Skip »

For the past couple of years I have been running a 6v Halogen bulbs....tail light only....also, no more draw on the battery than regular bulbs......Skip
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Halogen taillamps are great!

But plastic lenses do not last long.
(I think think halogen's power draw is significantly higher.)

Back to topic: Aren't they making omnidirectional LED bulbs yet?
(I'm holding out for those....)

....Cotten
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

Some LED bulbs/systems do not hold up well with vibration . It took me a few diff. kinds to find ones that would hold up in my bullet lights on the rear fender. The ones I have in there now have held up for almost two years, most did not make past a month or two( it seemed the tail light quit working ,more than the brake light function.) My four bullet lights are two wire , both brake and tail . I still use a incandescent in the main tail light , of course I have a 12V. system .

Gotta love the L.E.D.s, they are bright doesn't matter 6 or 12 v. systems.
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Cotten,

I have not been able to find an omnidirectional yet, best thing available is something they call "wide angle" but it still projects most of the light straight up and away from the base. Not suitable for beehives or tombstones.

As I mentioned above, I have one of the new "right angle" bulbs ordered; I'll report on results when it gets here.

mike
ridermike
Bikes: 1960 FLF
1942 WLA
1998 FLHTC
2000 Custom

Post by ridermike »

What about a bulb for a speedo? It would be nice to actually see how fast I'm going at night.

Mike
Moose
Bikes: 04 Softail w/131
50 Pan
2011 Ultra
1998 Low Rider

see the speedo

Post by Moose »

you don't need to see the speedo if you are going too fast the blue and red led's following you will go on

moose :0
ridermike
Bikes: 1960 FLF
1942 WLA
1998 FLHTC
2000 Custom

Post by ridermike »

Moose, I can't argue with that, but in my little speed-trap hick town a speedo is a must.
51Hog
Bikes: 1951 Fl

Post by 51Hog »

This post is for 6v systems--

Is everyone happy with their LED tail light bulbs?
Did the right angle bulbs work well with the Tombstone tail lights?
Are the "duel element" LEDs working well?
I read that red works better in the tail lights than white?
Has anyone located a good reasonably priced electronic flasher for turn signals yet?
Thanks
Bikes: 1948 FL 74in Panhead Chopper , 1958 Zundapp Citation 500

6 volt LED bulbs

Post by 108 »

One more question--- with the 6 V LED bulbs, is there a good increase in brightness from" tail"to "stop" ?
FlatHeadSix

Post by FlatHeadSix »

man you guys ask a lot of questions! The answer to most of them is YES.

I am happy with the switch to LED, so far they have been just as reliable as the old filament bulbs but much brighter. There is a very noticeable increase in brightness when you hit the brake. The red ones are much better than white ones behind the old original glass lens, I tried them both.

Cotten, the omnidirectional bulbs are now available, I forgot to post the link when I found them. they work great in a tombstone or behive, plenty of light in both directions.

My stock 6 volt '49 FL has turn signals which work great with an old style (bimetallic) flasher unit. the flasher will not work if you put LED bulbs at all 4 corners because it needs resistance in the circuit to trigger the flasher, I put the highest watt incandescent bulbs I could find in the front bullets behind the frosted glass lens and they work great. You can use the original bullet bulbs but the flasher will flash much slower, the single filament bulbs I had the best luck with are for interior dome light application.

here's a new link:

mike

http://www.highspeedmotors.com/Webled.html
FlatHeadSix

Post by FlatHeadSix »

I forgot to add that Highspeed motors is a little pricey. I'm pretty sure that the bulbs come from the same place as the first link I posted but I can't find the omnidirectional 6 volt on their site. Highspeed guy may have them made up special for his store. IMO, they are still worth the money, even at $20 a pop.

Here's a neat photo that Rick fixed up of us at Davenport last summer in front of Cotten's stall. The front signal lights are very visable on my bike and I think Rick has some on his '62 also.

mike

Return to “Electrical”