Wire gauge size

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
65 Eric
Inactive member

Wire gauge size

Post by 65 Eric »

Description: I don't know what gage wire to use for the ignition system, charging system or lights

Here I am again, back to drink from this immense fountain of knowledge, I'm replacing all the wires on my 65 but leaving off the passing lamps, turn signals, starter and kill switch. Doesn't leave a lot to re-wire but I don't know what gage wire to use for the ignition system, charging system or lights, again no help from my Clymers manual, which I must say does have a stock wire diagram but no mention of wire size. Appreciate all the help I can get.

Eric
Skip
Bikes: 48 pan
81 shovel
01 softail std
04 heritage
08 roadking
72 ct70

Re: Wire gauge size

Post by Skip »

I used 14 gauge on mine...seems to work fine...Skip
65 Eric
Inactive member

Post by 65 Eric »

thx Skip, I've heard everything from 12 to 18 so that sounds like a good compromise.

Eric
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Eric-

(here's my 2 cents)

If you have a decent pair of wire strippers, they do have all the gages on there, (visually) you can see, from 22 gage thinnest, to about 10 gage thick !!
After a visual guess, you can just skin a tad off an end & if it takes any copper strands it's slightly bigger, or visa-versa.....
simple way to figure out your wiring sizes.. ;D
65 Eric
Inactive member

Post by 65 Eric »

Thx Sleeper, but that's too easy!

Eric
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Ok, I'll complicate it....
This works well (assuming) the wires are correct gage to begin with.. aka somebody did some wiring w/whatever they had.. ???
junker

Post by junker »

Well I use 8 for battery and starter ,ignition nothing smaller than 10.then 10 for headlight 12 for horn if any,brake lights and whay ever small lights you want on 14.hope it helps
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

Eric
I used 14 gage through out and 12 gage for 12V power to the back term. panel from the batt.( kick only) , you can get OEM type cables for the starter to make things clean and they fit pretty good like a factory set up.
65 Eric
Inactive member

Post by 65 Eric »

Thanks all, I wired everything this last week-end with 14ga. but I think I'll use 12ga. for the pos. battery. Be in the wind soon!!
papapan
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by papapan »

Abyone have a good I mean good color coded wiring diagram? Id like to get the colors right when I re wire everything. Right no I have no wiring on the bike. I may be converting to electric start (but its not a for sure thing) I wont be running turn signals or fog lamps just the basics brake/tail. headlight high/low factory style switch trumpet horn (12 volt one) Im in the process of coverting to 12 volt I already have a late model generator installed. (my bikes a 54) I had to heli coil the case so i could use the smaller bolts.

Much Respect
Pan

Return to “Electrical”