Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
64duo
Bikes: 2001 Road King w/sidecar
1947 Servi-car

Late Pan Neutral Switch Power

Post by 64duo »

I struggling with this, hoping some other late pan owner can help.
My bikes neutral switch was never wired in. I dont know where the wire is suppose to run and how it gets power to light the 3-lite dash. I have looked at the wiring diagram, but i'm afraid that only confuses me more. Anybody traced this wire before?
Thanks
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

i have an earlier pan so i do not have the switch or a 3 light dash.

however, if it were me i would wire it into the ignition circuit so you would have the light available whenever the motor was running.

as far as the other end i assume it is a one terminal switch. if wiring in series the order of assembly would be:

wire from iginition terminal to lamp, from lamp to neutral switch.

doing it this way will require the use of a "non grounded" lamp socket, those are the kind with 2 wires coming out of the underside.

hope this helps, it should be essentially the same as your oil light.

john
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

I'm going to assume you have a 64 . The neutral switch is not really a switch as much as it is a contact. When the neutral switch contact comes into contact with the neutral lobe on the shift cam it completes the circuit to the indicator light on the dash and of course the light lights .
The wire from the switch runs to one of the two terminals or wires on the light ,usually the outer wire( since the indicator light fixtures are usually pre wired with two wires ) the other wire or terminal is wired to the # 6 connection terminal on the dash. That # 6 connection terminal is wired to the # 5 post on the ign. switch. If you don't use that connection terminal on the dash , just wire it to the # 5 post on the ign. switch.
The connector that goes on the post on the neutral switch is available form JP cycle.
The replacement indicator light fixtures usually have two black wires on them , the stock wiring diagram shows the one to the NS is GREEN and the one to the term. is BLACK . Hope that helped ya.
64duo
1947 Servi-car

Post by 64duo »

fourthgear wrote:I'm going to assume you have a 64..... the other wire or terminal is wired to the # 6 connection terminal on the dash. That # 6 connection terminal is wired to the # 5 post on the ign. switch. If you don't use that connection terminal on the dash , just wire it to the # 5 post on the ign. switch..... Hope that helped ya.
It does help....sort-of. Now I need an idea how to decifer the terminals on the Ignition Switch and the terminals on the dash. Is there a diagram for those somewhere?
That should get me going.
Thanks
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

You have the magic touch , Panhead.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

The main thing to remember is the switch on the tranny completes the ground when she's in nuetral. So hot wire goes to the wire which has a spring on it inside the fixture so it contacts the bottom of the bulb, the other wire comeing off the bayonet part of the bulb,goes to the nuetral switch on the tranny. I suggest feeding the lite from a terminal that is hot in both positions. Mike
64duo
1947 Servi-car

Post by 64duo »

Panacea wrote:.............. I suggest feeding the lite from a terminal that is hot in both positions. Mike
Great, thats helpful also, when spelled out for me it makes sense, but just staring at it for days or weeks its tough for me to understand it. I should have worked through both the shop manual & parts manual more, I see some of the answers there, I just need to be led to it sometimes.
Thanks all

Return to “Electrical”