Battery Acid

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
tdewalt
Inactive member

Battery Acid

Post by tdewalt »

Can anyone tell me if there is more than one kind of electrolite to use in a battery. I have a 6 volt system on my 50 pan and I know that there are some issues with the batteries that are available. I have 3 batteries and none of them will come up like I think they should. I found some old HD info that said to use 1.26 electorlite and charge to 1.265-1.275. Everything that I can find is lower than that and the batteries will only charge up to about 1.265 and then will drop below 1.26 after a day or so just sitting on the bench. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tad
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

tdewalt,

How are you measuring the specific gravity? If you are using a cheezy floating ball hydrometer you should also be questioning the accuracy of your instrument.

Most of the bulk electrolyte available today is all about the same and any of it should work just fine in a good battery. The true test of a battery is how much power (how many amps for a given period of time) it will deliver under load. Checking the specific gravity just told the mechanic in the shop when he could take the battery off the charging rack and put it back in service.

If you want to get really scientific about it you can chart the increase of specific gravity over time using the instruments you have on hand. Start with a totally dead battery, record the specific gravity and put it on the charger. Periodically measure and record the specific gravity, say every half hour or so. When the measurements peak and level off your battery has reached its charging capacity. You will now have a benchmark or target for future recharges, if it is only 1.26 measured with your instrument then that's ok.

mike
King
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by King »

Hi All
Speaking of hydrometers, where can one get a good one that measures actual density yet operates on the restricted amount of electrolyte we cam pull from our batteries? I’ve been using one of the floating ball ones for years and its OK, but strictly qualitative, and the ones for car batteries seam to suck out about a pint to float the indicator.

King
VT

Post by VT »

http://www.jcwhitney.com/Motorcycle-Bat ... 014378.jcw

3 bucks. You need to add an 1/8" clear plastic nipple tube on the end, that allows the electrolyte to be drawn out.
Get a 6V Battery Tender to or, as sure as the sun comes, you'll warp the separator plates in the battery on the very first charge with an auto charger :!:
Note: While you have the catalog page open. order at least the small (2.5 oz.) bottle of (cadmium) Charge It battery additive, 0.833 oz. per cell.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Sear ... chbtn.y=19
Makes (Battery Tendered) batteries last years, with a monthly trickle charge.
1. 6V Battery (where you can find them)
2. 6V Battery Tender®
3. Cadmium additive
4. M/C battery Hydrometer

Return to “Electrical”