how to check amp output on cycle electric gen with attached regulator

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
rigidpanman
Bikes: 49 fl,71 honda 750 sohc k1,98 cbr600f3,2)gl1100 goldwings

how to check amp output on cycle electric gen with attached regulator

Post by rigidpanman »

i bought my generator about 25 years or so ago,since i was running a magneto at the time i wasnt concerned with voltage/amperage output.now that im installing a battery,i need to figure what i have.cycle electrics website is no help at all.can someone tell me how to test the amp output on this thing?thanks
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: how to check amp output on cycle electric gen with attached regulator

Post by 58flh »

On your multimeter/or Ammeter (for 2-brush do this,--Connect a ammeter between neg. terminal & ground!.ON BATTERY.Then disconect the relay wires off the genny/& POS terminal on genny-(Aterm).Then connect a Jumperwire from ground to A/If you get 16-AMPS or more like 17-Amps GENNY is GOOD to go!-I would just clean-up the where the brushes travel & make the Copper shine!-Use Alcohol & wipe off!.It evaporates & does not hurt anything!.After your hooked-up Do not connect the jumper to the A until you start bike,& just Touch it blong enuff to read your meter!-16-17Amps is GOOD!.THIS is for a 2-BRUSH genny!.----If you have a 3-Brush----Start & rev-up the motor to 2500rpm.& have a voltage meter hooked-up to Battery posts!--If reading Above 13.5 to 14 on a 12-Volt system The charging is GOOD>But You may still have an issue with the cutout!.Or perhaps a short in wiring/inbetween relay & battery.Now if you get no charge when you rev her up Most likely the resister between RELAY & SWITCH is toast!.Also If you have all the stock wiring board terminals on the bike --I would Check ALL wiring for that green rot color!--& give a GOOD hard tug or 2 & makesure there making a connection.-(Personal EXP.,All wire joints should be soldered & RUN 2-GROUNDS from BATTERY!---IT WORKS,& got my ass home more then a dozen times!.Run 1 to frame NO PAINT! & 1 to the FRONT END!/you will not be sorry! Use 14-guage wire!). :wink: .Another Good read for you would be go to CYCLE ELECTRICS SITE & FOLLOW thier CHECKLIST!--It may be easier to understand then my babbling in EARLY MORNING! 8) .--RESPECTFULLY----RICHIE////Let us know how you made out!///PS--REMEMBER a bike can still charge with the gennylight on!.-If you find this issue REPLACE the wire for the light & check the BULB connection in its holder!-I seen them Shorted causing the bulb to stay lit-up.BEST of LUCK!-Again---RICHIE :!:
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Rigidpanman!--I noticed you mentioned you have the END-MOUT REGULATER!.---What I said above ---(STOP).GO directly to Cycle Electrics website & FOLLOW thier TEST INSTRUCTIONS to the letter!.When dealing with Electronics burried in EPOXY /1-mistake & there goes THE REGULATER!.Also I would call them & talk to a Rep. for the COMPANY!--(THEY know thier PRODUCT VERY-WELL.).Also there had been a couple that had trouble with the endmount regulaters!,/Buy the number is VERY-LOW!.I use a CE with the regulater mounted under the bike.I have to say Its by far the BEST GENNY ITS HAD SINCE POPS drove her off the showroom floor!.There Guaranteed for 2yrs. on all parts ---UNLESS you MESS-UP Then its on you!.So there MAY be nothing wrong with it!---At this point I wouldnt touch anything ,just put a VOLTMETER on the battery & rev her up to 2000 to 2500RPM.At Idle mine reads 12.9 with lights on//13-V with lights off.My idle speed is 950RPMs. When I rev her up Im at 14.5 or 6 with no lights.With lights Im at 14.2.So please dont do what I said above!--Its for a regular stock old OEM genny with MECHANICAL REGULATERS!.----Respectfully---RICHIE.
rigidpanman
Bikes: 49 fl,71 honda 750 sohc k1,98 cbr600f3,2)gl1100 goldwings

Post by rigidpanman »

Groovy,thanks

Return to “Electrical”