Battery

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
rigidpanman
Bikes: 49 fl,71 honda 750 sohc k1,98 cbr600f3,2)gl1100 goldwings

Battery

Post by rigidpanman »

I would like suggestions on how small of a battery i can use to kickstart my panhead,btw it would be a 12v battery.thanks
old.wrench
Bikes: '54 FL and a mini-bike

Re: Battery

Post by old.wrench »

rpm,

Is the bike a custom that requires a small battery for looks?

A very small battery will provide sufficient juice to simply kick start the bike. The old emergency road-trick for a failed 6 volt battery was to buy or borrow one of the very common 6 volt lantern dry cell batteries which were available back then in every hardware or grocery store. The 6 volt lantern batteries are not really small in size but they are small in terms of performance, and they do have enough juice for a kick start. The reason for running a larger capacity battery as a part of the system is really for lighting and accessories (like a horn or ( :) ) electric start). The charging system on the bike also factors in how well a really small battery is going to perform- output from from the generator is usually regulated to match larger capacity batteries and may very well cook a tiny battery. I still run one of the small 12N5.5-3B batteries on a bike, I have a low-output generator system, but even so, the little battery requires vigilance and maintenance so it doesn't get cooked. Some of the newer technology small batteries don't seem to match up very well with Panhead charging systems. Most of the guys that I know and ride their bikes regularly feel that the AGM type battery (the biggest one you can stuff into the oil tank) is still the best bet for Pans as far as reliability and longevity.

Geo.
rigidpanman

Post by rigidpanman »

George,it needs to be able to start the bike but im going to cut my 5 quart round aluminum oil tank and mount it in there
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

Put the mag on! You might not have lights if the genny fails but bike will start and you will go home (Done this on a few times). Mag plus primary chain =bulletproof panhead. Say no to flatbeds at 1:30am. Bob L
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

RPM---I converted to 12-Volts & Im using a small AGM battery In the oiltank.--Its 12-V & has 80cca used for small tractor mower & some watercraft.The size is 4-1/2-long, 3-1/2-wide & 4-inches high.Compared to the older AGM I had for 4yrs. That one Fit but just barely it had enuff CCAs for Electrickfoot.I would still be running it but I wanted to see what guys say about them is true!--I left it out disconected in a FREEZING SHED for 4-winters!/ And When I put a meter on it for go day there was always 11+-Volts in it!.REALLY opened-up my eyes & I would never go to lead-acid again.You can mount them anyway but upside down.I mounted the huge one Negative down & used vulcanized rubber for landing on oiltant & the same to wedge it in tight.Its advisable to throw a 20 or 30-amp fuse -(just incase).And I also run 2-grounds!-(you cant have enuff.Onr Negative to frame the other to the wideglide.-(Helps for bright lite.).You can get this AGM battery at AUTOZONE--(name is MAGNASPORT).Also I did not mention the 1st huge AGM went thru a few discharges down to 7-volts because of a WELL USED GENNY.I use to have to stick a toothpick in it & push on the brushes To get her Charging again!.So out of 3-gennys i have all are well worn & will be turned into alts.This year I purchased a Low-voltage CYCLE-ELECTRICS genny.So I have no issues & my Halogen on HI-BEAM with the small AGM batt stays brite at redlights!.But thats not really what impressed me ,It was how QUIET my solid tappet panmotor really is!.--Those old gennys were just keeping me afloat!-the last few yrs.Anyway I think the AGMs are a GREAT battery!--Sub-ZERO temps from last winter & still 11-Volts.I dont know of any lead-acid that can compare.---Just My opinion!--Price for AGM Magnasport battery---$49.00/------Good-Luck-----Richie I also wanted to add that your mag probably needs a thorough cleaning/If your magnets & points are good & shes in time-It should Fire easily!.The guys I run with have 6-mags in the crew!-And to keep a magneto on-point Easy-cleaning is Perfect preventive maintenance.Out of the sovels & pans &-1/45--They start very easy running mags.A month ago it was taking one of the guys 4-5 kicks after his 3-4 primer kicks to start.Apart came the mag,& the crud that we cleaned out was the culprit!--Back to a 1-to 2 kicks again.---Respectfully---Richie
rigidpanman

Post by rigidpanman »

Thanks richie
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Post by 59Panman »

Yuasa YTZ 14S with CE low output regulator.
rigidpanman

Post by rigidpanman »

Groovy,thanks mark

Return to “Electrical”