Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
drinner-okc
Bikes: 1965 ElectraGlide
1953 HydraGlide
Pan Super Glide
47 EL Knucklehead w/ Sidecar (Basket)

Troubleshoot End Mount Regulator on Generator

Post by drinner-okc »

I have 65 Electra Glide, basically stock with a Custom Chrome end mount electronic regulator on the 12V generator.
It had been working flawlessly until last Saturday. I rolled the throttle up to an honest 80 + mph to pass a car that had pulled out in the middle of a group riding Route 66 east of Oklahoma City. They pulled out, then never exceeded 45 mph (on purpose we think, they flipped us off as we passed)
Anyway, as I looked down to see how fast the speedo thought we were going, the generator light illuminated, and never went out. I turned off the lights and was able to make the day on battery reserve.
I just looked at it last night. It is a 3-wire unit, BLACK to Battery (or in my case 25a circuit breaker) RED to Armature & dash light, and GREEN to the Fields. I have 12+ volts on the Black wire, and nothing to Red or Green, key off or key on.
I pulled the regulator & looked underneath, there is no visible sign of heat damage to the resin.
my question is, on a working unit is there voltage going to the Armature post with the engine off?
This is basically the charging system off another bike, so I hate to have fried both pieces...
65panhed
Bikes: 1965 Panhead chopper
2001 Roadking Stage IV

Re: Troubleshoot End Mount Regulator on Generator

Post by 65panhed »

I jus checked on my 65 and no voltage key on or off. I did not check fields.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: Troubleshoot End Mount Regulator on Generator

Post by 58flh »

OKC---IF the battery is dead ,then a short -most likely in the Endmount reg. Just let the 12V drain all night!/& you rode with it like that for a spell ,so Im not curprised its dead.--If you have a carger/12V-2 to 8 amp Hook it up to the leads & fire the bike!--Put a voltage meter across the posts on batt & see what if anything is going back into the battery!.It must have atleast with a dead batt 12V-going back in it.Any thing else LOWER.Just shut her down & pull the genny --If you know how to check a genny for amps using a new battery ofcourse See what she got!/or you can just grap it with gloves & try to stop the genny from turning!--It should be REAL HARD to stop it if you can!.If the genny has that much POWER in her putting out--GET a new endmount or Voltpak & hide it under the bike.Polarize genny BEFORE you hook up the Jesus-box!.They fry if 1-spark hits em!.Get a CE or Equivelent Endmount if your sticing with it!.Franks are good -(IF YOU CAN FIND A GOOD ONE).Don't trust that Taiwanese stuff from CCI-or V-TWINGE,all junk.I know HD makes those Jesus-boxes I have seen many on the 70s & 80s bikes!--The thing is Those carried ALOT more juice.I purchased 1 for a 12-V XL--1976 & used it on a panhead & it was just fine!--The XL was kick-olny 12V,no blinkers just stop & headlight!.The MoCo still makes them!/But you will have to hunt for a OEM VoltPak!,otherwise they do what you can do at home & order a V-Twinge one.Have you thought of using a Mechanical Reg.?--Boschs are VERY good for a genny bike that's 12-V.In any case I hope you get what you need & Don't forget to tug on all the wires!--It could be that simple!----GOOD-LUCK----RICHIE

Return to “Electrical”