Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Boneshaker74
Bikes: 57 FL
54 FL

GEN light and Charging

Post by Boneshaker74 »

I have a 54 panhead that I've recently gotten back on the road after sitting for around 12 years. Stock 65a 12v generator and aftermarket regulator (see picture). Bike runs great except I think there is a charging issue. My GEN light goes out above idle - like it should. A new battery (yuasa ytx7l-bs) 5.5 ah shows about 13.3 volts when charged. I went out for a 20 minute ride with the lights on and it dropped to 12.8v. I went for another 20 minute ride and the voltage dropped to 12.6v and another ride it dropped to 12.1v. All city riding.

I'm unable to get a voltage reading at the battery terminals when the bike is running to see if the voltage increases as the rpm increases. The voltage meter shows erratic indications (jumps for 8v to blank to 15v to 10v). I've tried 2 different meters.

What does the GEN light actually measure? Does it measure generator output or does it measure voltage regulator output?

Thanks
20150713_143308_zpstblcln9z.jpg
20150713_143308_zpstblcln9z.jpg (117.92 KiB) Viewed 1221 times
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Re: GEN light and Charging

Post by john HD »

What does the GEN light actually measure? Does it measure generator output or does it measure voltage regulator output?
It measures the difference, if it is on the battery has more voltage than the generator. If it is off the generator has more voltage than the battery.

Quick and dirty troubleshoot: Rev the bike up with the headlight on, if it gets brighter it is probably charging. If not clean the contacts of the regulator with a business card soaked in solvent. Put the card between the contacts, push down gently on the contacts and pull the card out until clean.

john
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Also she sat for over a decade!--Check all your WIRES!--Tug em real good/Look for that green rot/& CHECK your GROUNDS!----That is a 2 coil Bosch reg. There very TUFF & Still a great reg. to run.Your voltage meter should of went to 14+ at 2000+!,Look under the reg. theres a ceramic Ballast resister with a spring running along the length of it.If that spring gets coroded or RUSTY from sotting -It will affect the regulaters operation.A toothbrush & vinigar / bakingsoda paste Makes it NEW!.--Respectfully---Richie-----Remember to Polarize from + on battery to the A front terminal on the 65-A/just a quick spark & alls good.
Boneshaker74
54 FL

Post by Boneshaker74 »

john HD wrote:

Quick and dirty troubleshoot: Rev the bike up with the headlight on, if it gets brighter it is probably charging. If not clean the contacts of the regulator with a business card soaked in solvent. Put the card between the contacts, push down gently on the contacts and pull the card out until clean.

john
I cleaned the contacts but that was not it. I found a better meter (analog) and I was able to confirm that the voltage doesn't increase as I rev the engine. The headlight doesn't get brighter either.
58flh wrote:Also she sat for over a decade!--Check all your WIRES!--Tug em real good/Look for that green rot/& CHECK your GROUNDS!----That is a 2 coil Bosch reg. There very TUFF & Still a great reg. to run.Your voltage meter should of went to 14+ at 2000+!,Look under the reg. theres a ceramic Ballast resister with a spring running along the length of it.If that spring gets coroded or RUSTY from sotting -It will affect the regulaters operation.A toothbrush & vinigar / bakingsoda paste Makes it NEW!.--Respectfully---Richie-----Remember to Polarize from + on battery to the A front terminal on the 65-A/just a quick spark & alls good.
I cleaned the voltage regulator using the paste as was surprised how well it worked. Overall I think it's clean now including the Ballast resistor. I've polarized the generator as well. Still nowhere close to 14v. Wires look decent and not loose.

I'll have to work through the manual and see what I come up with.
Boneshaker74
54 FL

Post by Boneshaker74 »

Looks like I have an accel (bosch style regulator). I want to check the wiring and this is what I came up with. Correct me if I'm worng

The DF goes to the field F on the gen
The D+ goes to the A on the generator.
The B+ goes to battery and ignition switch.
Ground goes to ground.
The 61 is left not connected.

Is this correct for this style of regulator?
58flh
Former member

Post by 58flh »

You are CORRECT!-The TERMINAL-61 is not used!/By any chance did you try to motor it on the bench with battery??-If you did & it motored Theres a good chance the genny is ok!--But Still use a multimeter & make sure you have the correct ohms & volts from the coils & (CLEAN BETWEEN where the brushes run on that copper strips.Use a fine hacksaw blade & cut to the MICA or Plastic nowadats between each copper strip.Make sure the Field is not grounded inside & all connections are correct!.Motor it again if it seems to be slow take a toothpick & push on the brushes /You will se RPM increase & some sparks fron where the brushes are.Try & stop the motor by hand /It shouldn't be to easy!-You should have to really grip it & don't stop it fully!-If it was hard on the gloved hand/Shes probably Ready to introduce the regulater into the system On the Bench with a GOOD BATTERY & measure HOW many AMPS the genny is making.if 16 Then theres nothing wrong with the genny.Of course IM assuming its a 12-VOLT system!.GOOD-LUCK--OH yea ACCEL is about as good as v-TWINGE!.---Respectfully---Richie
Boneshaker74
54 FL

Post by Boneshaker74 »

58flh wrote:You are CORRECT!-The TERMINAL-61 is not used!/By any chance did you try to motor it on the bench with battery??-If you did & it motored Theres a good chance the genny is ok!--But Still use a multimeter & make sure you have the correct ohms & volts from the coils & (CLEAN BETWEEN where the brushes run on that copper strips.Use a fine hacksaw blade & cut to the MICA or Plastic nowadats between each copper strip.Make sure the Field is not grounded inside & all connections are correct!.Motor it again if it seems to be slow take a toothpick & push on the brushes /You will se RPM increase & some sparks fron where the brushes are.Try & stop the motor by hand /It shouldn't be to easy!-You should have to really grip it & don't stop it fully!-If it was hard on the gloved hand/Shes probably Ready to introduce the regulater into the system On the Bench with a GOOD BATTERY & measure HOW many AMPS the genny is making.if 16 Then theres nothing wrong with the genny.Of course IM assuming its a 12-VOLT system!.GOOD-LUCK--OH yea ACCEL is about as good as v-TWINGE!.---Respectfully---Richie
I took apart the generator and checked all the connections and cleaned up the copper strips and brushes. I also bench tested it and the generator spins and it's very hard to stop by hand. I put the generator back in the bike and I'm having a hard time getting a good reading on it's amperage output. I only have a lockjaw (clamp) type ammeter and when I measure the output over either of the two A and F wires I get maybe one amp. I also take a measurement using the lockjaw over the positive lead near the battery and I get the same reading. I'm not sure if that is correct.

I polarized at the voltage regulator as per it's instructions.

This is the type of multi meter I use.

58flh
Former member

Post by 58flh »

If you couldn't stop the genny by hand from motoring by hand/I would say the genny is fine/& put a new Bosch-reg. on her,polarize & you should be good to go!.That cheap mulyimeter is just fine for what your using it for!.Theres one more thing & that is to put the genny on a growler & have them check it!-$20 & its bad or Good No Guessing!/But I have to admit/Every genny that I went thru & couldn't stop it by hand under Battery power Worked every time!---Try a used known good reg. if somebody has one you know.Or drop the cash for a new Bosch reg.-Polarize & you should be fine!.Just remember check the terminal board under the nacelle on inside right.Make sure theres nothing shorting & check the KEYSWITCH!--other then that She should be fine!.---Respectfilly---Richie
1962FLH
Bikes: 1945EL project
1962FLH
1974FLH

Post by 1962FLH »

In the photo above: The blue heat shrink tubing on the ring terminal attached to the regulator looks problematic and may be preventing a good connection as it is sandwiched under the screw .
Boneshaker74
54 FL

Post by Boneshaker74 »

58flh wrote:If you couldn't stop the genny by hand from motoring by hand/I would say the genny is fine/& put a new Bosch-reg. on her,polarize & you should be good to go!.That cheap mulyimeter is just fine for what your using it for!.Theres one more thing & that is to put the genny on a growler & have them check it!-$20 & its bad or Good No Guessing!/But I have to admit/Every genny that I went thru & couldn't stop it by hand under Battery power Worked every time!---Try a used known good reg. if somebody has one you know.Or drop the cash for a new Bosch reg.-Polarize & you should be fine!.Just remember check the terminal board under the nacelle on inside right.Make sure theres nothing shorting & check the KEYSWITCH!--other then that She should be fine!.---Respectfilly---Richie
After my third attempt i was able to stop the genny but with a lot of force and it ate through my rubber lined glove.

I guess I'll have to suspect the voltage regulator. I might go the electric regulator route. Maybe Frank's or similar. Anyone recommend anything?
Scrap
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1957 FL
1980 FLT
74 FXE
2017 road glide
1971 Bonneville
2021 Ural GU

Post by Scrap »

Boneshaker74 wrote:
58flh wrote:You are CORRECT!-The TERMINAL-61 is not used!/By any chance did you try to motor it on the bench with battery??-If you did & it motored Theres a good chance the genny is ok!--But Still use a multimeter & make sure you have the correct ohms & volts from the coils & (CLEAN BETWEEN where the brushes run on that copper strips.Use a fine hacksaw blade & cut to the MICA or Plastic nowadats between each copper strip.Make sure the Field is not grounded inside & all connections are correct!.Motor it again if it seems to be slow take a toothpick & push on the brushes /You will se RPM increase & some sparks fron where the brushes are.Try & stop the motor by hand /It shouldn't be to easy!-You should have to really grip it & don't stop it fully!-If it was hard on the gloved hand/Shes probably Ready to introduce the regulater into the system On the Bench with a GOOD BATTERY & measure HOW many AMPS the genny is making.if 16 Then theres nothing wrong with the genny.Of course IM assuming its a 12-VOLT system!.GOOD-LUCK--OH yea ACCEL is about as good as v-TWINGE!.---Respectfully---Richie
I took apart the generator and checked all the connections and cleaned up the copper strips and brushes. I also bench tested it and the generator spins and it's very hard to stop by hand. I put the generator back in the bike and I'm having a hard time getting a good reading on it's amperage output. I only have a lockjaw (clamp) type ammeter and when I measure the output over either of the two A and F wires I get maybe one amp. I also take a measurement using the lockjaw over the positive lead near the battery and I get the same reading. I'm not sure if that is correct.

I polarized at the voltage regulator as per it's instructions.

This is the type of multi meter I use.

Did you measure the amperage with the clamp? It only works for AC current.
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Post by steve_wood »

Boneshaker,

Did you mean to say "electronic" regulator? If so, you'll need to use a coil, wires and plugs that have suppression. If you go with the non-supression ignition components, you'll eventually fry the electronic regulator.

steve
58flh
Former member

Post by 58flh »

Scrap--Good catch!--Bones does your meter olny read AC because you need DC for the amp reading on the genny--If it can read 12-volts on your car & goes to 14.5 or more --then your good for 12-Volt measurement!--I didn't even catch the jaw-type meter/but it should read Voltage going in.On the reg. I personally have run Mechanical Boschs ALL MY LIFE!--I just put a new CE in mine & I got a Jesus-box mounted under the bike to motormount to keep the wires short!And I have to admit My buddy ductaped a halogen & we wired 2 & I ran them in hi-beam for over 2hrs. strait!/I got home ,pulled the seat & I had 12.7-8-it fluctuated between them two munbers.Also that shrinktube that was mentioned Have a look-see & just make sure theres contact.Im really still in awe of this regulater with sewn circuits & shit that nasa uses for lauching rockets -All dipped in EPOXY & it really works good!.IF you go electronic box or a endmount You have 1-shot to wire it correctly.So whosever product you get CE,Franks,v-TWINGE :shock: /READ & Ask if your not sure!---Respectfully---Richie.--PS-you can go to a boneyard & look for volkswagons/I got 4-in 1-day like that /They were crusty looking ,but all of them worked!/at $10 a regulater Its a jackpot!---Best of luck :!:
Scrap
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1957 FL
1980 FLT
74 FXE
2017 road glide
1971 Bonneville
2021 Ural GU

Post by Scrap »

Boneshaker,
Your meter will measure DC amps, but only with the leads, not the clamp. The clamp reads the "induced" current (like a transformer) but it only works with AC. The leads on your meter are too small to handle the current from your generator.
Frankenstein
Bikes: 37ULH,46UL,47EL(80"),65FL,61KH-WL-BSA hybrid,56square4,several 50's BSA 500 singles

Post by Frankenstein »

Just a point to remember, there are clamp on ammeters that DO read DC, but they are a lot more expensive than the ac version. Also, can't tell for sure from the info given, but IF the battery was fully charged, his readings of 1amp into the battery might not be out of line. How bout it Boneshaker, what are the details on the meter?
DL

Return to “Electrical”