Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Pan58
Bikes: FLH 1958
FLST 1988

Headlamp ground

Post by Pan58 »

I replaced all the wireing of my 58 panhead. Question now is the correct grounding points of the headlamp. Looks like the ground wire from the tripple connector of the sealed beam has to be fixed inside directly to the lampbody. But as from 1955 on they used a rubber mounted headlamp bracket, looks like I have to properly ground this bracket as well. I have no contact when measuring with my ohm-meter between headlamp bracket and frame. The bracket has a small screw in the middle of the 2 mounting bolts. Is this for grounding?

Anybody an idea or some pics of the proper grounding points / wirerouting of the headlamp of a 58 panhead?

Talking about ground, where goes the groundwire to the frame, coming from the horn switch of the handlebar?

Thanks
Pan58
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: Headlamp ground

Post by 58flh »

Pan58----You will find your schematic in the K-Base!--That screw is for ground.----Richie
Pan58
FLST 1988

Post by Pan58 »

Thank you Richie, I have my schematic, but the question is, where are these grounding points on the frame / fork? Under which screw / nut? I don't find any pics.

Pan58
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Pan58---Where your ground from the battery goes to the frame/-Its transferred to the frontend thru the neck of the frame!---Im saying Ground at frame as I do not have mine wired per sdhematic!--I actually run 3-grounds on my bike!--The Heavy one to the frame from batt.-Then to a engine mount,& another to the front-end!/--If your rubber mounted (the headlight)-It has to have a bolt going thru it to make contact with the metal on the front-end!--Or you have no light!.Are your washers in correct order? that hold the bucket on.You have to make contact with the metal in order to produce a ground!--(YOU KNOW THIS!)--How about taking a ground from the board behind the inside nacelle-cover on the front-end!--THAT should work!---But I know its not STOCK & It sounds like your looking for a correct factory wiring set-up!--Im sure others will help here!--On that note --(I cant stress enuff that its NICE to run a X-TRA GROUND!)--Ive seen it many times that a connection gets loose or turns green & NO GROUND--THEN your stuck!---It can always be hidden if worried about judging!---RESPECTFULLY----RICHIE
Pan58
FLST 1988

Post by Pan58 »

Thanks Richie,

but you're right, I try to find out the correct factory wiring set-up. If this is not good practice, of course I will have to use an extra ground wire

Pan58
55panFL
Bikes: 1955 FL

Post by 55panFL »

I think I have pictures on my work computer of my 55 headlamp grounds. I can post tomorrow for you
55panFL
Bikes: 1955 FL

Post by 55panFL »

Hope this helps you. this is a 55fl
Attachments
20130407_133548.jpg
20130407_133548.jpg (80.02 KiB) Viewed 3148 times
UPSROD
Bikes: 58 FLH 65 FLH 81 FXB 04 FLHRSI

Post by UPSROD »

On mine the wire from the mounting bracket goes to the top screw holding the terminal plate to the top tree.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

On mine the wire from the mounting bracket goes to the top screw holding the terminal plate to the top tree.
That is the normal location.
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

Toothed star washers under the terminal ends of the wire help as well.

john
Pan58
FLST 1988

Post by Pan58 »

Thank you all for that.

And where is the green ground wire coming the handlebar for the Horn Switch located?

Thanks
Pan58
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Food for thought, Folks!

Isn't the real ground connection through the headstock bearings?

Eeuww... that grease can't be conductive, and if it isn't there, the bearing fails.
I have even heard it suggested that bearing wear is accelerated by "arcing".

Aside from AMCA judges' stink fingers, might not a separate ground wire to the frame be prudent?

....Cotten
james
Bikes: 1952 FL
2020 Honda Super Cub

Post by james »

I run a ground through the harness to the headlight for this reason. Undetected.

Jim
Gotnoclass
Bikes: 58FLH

Post by Gotnoclass »

Pan58, I also have a 58. Ran the ground to the top mounting screw that holds the terminal plate to the fork. Also, the headlamp bucket has a on the bottom shell that supposed to hold the ground from the 3 prong connector. Most likley the River is gone and someone put a screw there. You can easily replace it with a new rivet, but it requires the squeezer and the special top and bottom dies. A bit of an expense, but this is how it goes if you want to get it right - not to mention going through the trouble of cad plating the rivet.... I just finished all me electrical, so I'm fresh minded about it. Feel free to pm me with any questions.
Ran
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Cotten wrote:Isn't the real ground connection through the headstock bearings?

Eeuww... that grease can't be conductive, and if it isn't there, the bearing fails.
I have even heard it suggested that bearing wear is accelerated by "arcing".

Aside from AMCA judges' stink fingers, might not a separate ground wire to the frame be prudent?

....Cotten
Cotton,
Yes (if 'real' ground is factory standard procedure) the only chassis ground provided to electric accessories on the fork comes through the headstock bearings, it has forever
Yes (that is the suggestion, conducting electricity will accelerate bearing wear) but this manifests more rapidly in dry bearings, so, bearing failure may be due to lack of grease and not arcing
Yes ( a separate wire will cure any possible problems and can certainly be installed undetected as James mentioned)
mike

Return to “Electrical”