Wiring problem

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
white1j0
Bikes: '02 Fatboy, '47 Knuckle, '52Pan

Wiring problem

Post by white1j0 »

I wired up my Pan using the '49 to '54 diagram, brake and tail light not working, only high beam works, light goes out when switched to low beam, the only problem I seen is on the diagram it only shows 2 wires coming off the head lamp, where mine has 3, and I'm also using a late model ignition switch, I traced all the wires at least five times and everything is correct, I'm also running a mag. could this be the problem ??, Thanks Whitey
upjohn
Bikes: 56pan, 97 evo

Re: Wiring problem

Post by upjohn »

My thinking is that one wire is a ground wire. Then you have one wire for high beam and one wire for low beam. You are probably grounding thru your frame stem bearings anyway. Then third wire the ground is a good idea anyway. Look in your head light shell and see where the wires go. You will probably see one going to high beam and one to low beam and one grounded to the shell. Not sure about your tail light has to be a wrong connetion.
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Post by 1950Panhead »

brake light not working
Brake light goes through brake switch, check you have 6v on either lead, step on brake, check you have 6v on other lead (if not brake switch failed or not pulling hard enough on plunger), check 6v on wire in light housing. (check pigtail leads and bulb).
tail light not working
Check 6v on ignition swith, check 6v in terminal box, check 6v on pig tail in tail light, this is the path.
only high beam works
Three wires go to headlight switch (left handle bar) check 6v going to switch, 6v coming back on both leads (move switch), two leads go to sealed beam. Ground on tree front or terminal with jumper to tree front.
Jerry
Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Post by Hauula Pan »

You mentioned you are using a late model ignition switch, that may be part of your problem if you just connected the wires to the same posts as the diagram shows, as they are not the same. You are going to have to use a meter & see what posts feed through in each switch position and make the appropriate changes.
white1j0
Bikes: '02 Fatboy, '47 Knuckle, '52Pan

Post by white1j0 »

The black wire is a ground and is grounded from the head light, I have 6v coming from both leads to the brake switch, also tail light works when power is put through terminal box, no brake light, when switch is pulled, and no tail light, I also just replaced, the ignition switch with another nos I had lying around, I was wondering should you have continuity from your ground to the terminal post on the dash, #6,7 & 44,whitch I do, and if so why are they insulated, Thanks Whitey

Return to “Electrical”