Trouble with battery eliminator

Electrical issues
Forum rules
Please start new topics here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
ironhead72hd
Inactive member

Trouble with battery eliminator

Post by ironhead72hd »

Description: does a bike HAVE to have a magneto to use this thing or will it work with a plain old genny and regulator?

A buddy of mine has a 73 ironhead sporty and it came as a basket with a rigid frame. He wants to run a battery eliminator but cannot seem to get the thing to work. He hooked it up and cannot get it to work correctly. He knows it is connected correctly because he called accel and they sent an instruction sheet. My question is, does a bike HAVE to have a magneto to use this thing or will it work with a plain old genny and regulator? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
kell

Re: Trouble with battery eliminator

Post by kell »

I haven't tried to replace a bike battery with a capacitor, but I've heard other people say they tried and couldn't get it to work. But if I were going to try, I would buy the biggest cap I could get, and it wouldn't necessarily be one marketed specifically for motorbikes. I see a $24.98 aluminum electrolytic capacitor with screw connectors in the Newark Electronics catalog, and it has WAY more capacitance than the one I saw in the J&P catalog. 100,000 microfarads. Go to http://www.newark.com and type the stock number into their search window: 27F511. Or call 800 263 9275. Since they have a $25 minimum order to avoid the shipping charge, you might want to order another cheap item just for the hell of it.

P.S. The White Bros. capacitor I got from J&P only has 4,900 microfarads, and is no cheaper than the 100,000 uf Newark cap I recommended. It has a higher voltage rating; 50 working volts, 65 surge, versus 15 working volts, 25 surge for the one I told you about which is enough unless your v reg goes out and the generator goes full field. But if you want a cap with a higher voltage rating you can find it on Newark's website. You'll be looking for an aluminum electrolytic; ignore the big electrolytic computer-rated caps, they just costy.
Ente

Re: Trouble with battery eliminator

Post by Ente »

Hmmm...
hunting for biiiig capacitors will end up with the size of the smallest 3-4Ah-battery (and act like one)
Rock on!

Return to “Electrical”