V-Twin Short Block?

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
CaptMike
Bikes: 1998 Roadglide, 1957 FLH

V-Twin Short Block?

Post by CaptMike »

OK... On my mismatched cases 1957/1963 Right I have three options.

1. Try to drill the Right Case for my '56 Heads (internal oilers).
2. Send the Heads to have the External Lines Added. (Need new cam cover and oil pump.)
3. Buy a V-Twin Pan Short-block.

Since I need an entire Crank w/rods, oil pump, new bolts, pinion and pump gear etc. Right now I'm thinking just buy the V-Twin short block. I know it's not going to be the '57 bottom-end (case) but from a cost stand point I think it's the best bang for the buck. Then the entire cases, cam, tappet blocks, gears, bolts, crank and rods are brand new. Drop new cylinders and pistons and bolt the '57 heads on it.

V-Twin has been making the Pan stuff since 1998. What do you think? Any one run one of the motors? I PM'ed Eric (who I don't know) but he put and entire motor in a bike he built if you remember.
jdpan
Bikes: 1952 Custom swingarm panhead

Re: V-Twin Short Block?

Post by jdpan »

Why not just keep an eye out for an early right side case?
CaptMike

Post by CaptMike »

jdpan wrote:Why not just keep an eye out for an early right side case?
Basically if I keep the Left side case, I'm going to have to replace almost everything else just to get the bottom-end back together. When I do the math, I'm at about $2500.00 on parts that I need to get the engine back up to the cylinders. (The old ones are .080" over and have 32 years of rust, so I don't think they're worth spending the time honing them since they can't be bored.)
jdpan

Post by jdpan »

Does the '57 case have legit nubers and a legal title to go with it? If so, I'd do whatever it takes to keep it that way. Flywheel rods and bearings can be rebuilt, cylinders and pistons can be had reasonably inexpensive. If you already have the cam cover and the innerds, there ya go. What's the condition of the oil pump... Have any pictures of this mess??
CaptMike

Post by CaptMike »

jdpan wrote:Does the '57 case have legit nubers and a legal title to go with it? If so, I'd do whatever it takes to keep it that way. Flywheel rods and bearings can be rebuilt, cylinders and pistons can be had reasonably inexpensive. If you already have the cam cover and the innerds, there ya go. What's the condition of the oil pump... Have any pictures of this mess??
Oil pump has some pretty bad scoring in the scavenger gears (with the Idler Scavenger gear and cover missing). Title? What title? My pal has been dead 32 years, his daughter was 7 years old (now 39) so paper work? NFI. I can get a BOS and possibly get a title. jdan, there ain't any Crank to rebuild. The crank (flywheels, rods, pinion) are MIA. That's a Grand. Until I ran into the '63 case I was going to send it to Truitt & Osborne. The "estimate" was about $2200.00 for the bottom-end. I've said I'll post some pictures but there's not much to post. Some Coke crates full of old rusty parts.

This is going to be rider and a long way from original. Even if I put it back together using the left side case, it's still going to be a "Hodge-Podge" of parts.
jdpan

Post by jdpan »

I recently saw an original '57 fully assembled, running motor on the bay that sold for $2700, just a thought. They're out there... Might be a more affordable option for you. The cases you have, have to be worth something to someone unmolested, you could use that money to help fund another mill.
CaptMike

Post by CaptMike »

I think I'm going to get the heads cleaned up and make sure they useable and keep smoking the V-Twin bottom end.

It's not like I haven't done some serious surgery before but my pal here has advised against trying to drill the oil hole for the rear cylinder. I see it this way, the '63 case also has the '58 casting number and the front cylinder oil hole is there but it's plugged (from the factory). In my opinion the front hole is easy. I've looked and I don't see how H-D drilled the oil galley in the case (from pump area to tappet blocks and front cylinder.

I found another thread where someone drilled theirs (a '51 Case).

I can use a Gasket and Rear Cylinder to get a general location but can someone possible poke a tight fitting drill bit in a '50's case and take a picture. That would give me an reference for angle. (Two from different angles would help.)

Here's what Cotten said;

It would have been quite appropriate to have re-opened the old thread (wherever it was), and included the rest of the forum. Although we do not always agree (particularly upon external oiling), almost all input helps.

The welchplug to your front cylinder need only be pierced with an awl to .100" or so.

Drilling the rear would be best attempted with a reference case next to it.

Please post this question on the forum, as there are a lot of members with cameras right at hand...

Looking forward to it,

....Cotten

Return to “Motor”