EXHAUST PORT

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Davereif212
Bikes: 1959 FL

EXHAUST PORT

Post by Davereif212 »

Hello fellow panners, I have a question about head repair.... are damaged exhaust ports fixable? and if so who does a good job in the Akron, Ohio area? Thanks. Dave 59 pan.
Panshovevo
Inactive member
Bikes: '50 F model, '76FX/L, '96 96" FXDWG

Re: EXHAUST PORT

Post by Panshovevo »

How badly is it damaged, and it what way? Is it just wear or something else?
Exhaust ports are routinely machined off, and replacements welded on.
I use high temp silicone to seal and protect worn ports that aren't too far gone. As my pan heads are off at the moment, and one is worn but not horribly, I've been considering building it up with JB weld or Marine-Tex. Has anyone tried this?
I would make a sleeve, from PVC or similar, with the inside diameter of a new port, center it over the port, and fill the gap with the epoxy mixture.
I have the equipment to weld it up, but don't have the experience with aluminum to trust myself to do it yet.
Regards,
John
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Replacing damaged exhaust spigots is almost routine these days. However, the BEST repairmen weld the new spigot on the INSIDE, so there is no unsightly weld visible, and the end result looks nearly the same as a factory original head. Not to mention the exhaust pipe fits properly, as well.
jtraub
Bikes: 1953G,1958 FLH, 1960 FLH, 1964 FL, 1968 FLH, 1989 FLHS, 1997 FLHRI, 2016 FLHTKSE

Post by jtraub »

I think Don Sullivan at Headhog does that type of repair work. He is located in Seville, OH and his website is http://www.headhog.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I've seen some pics of case repair work that he has done and it looks first rate.
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

james
Bikes: 1952 FL
2020 Honda Super Cub

Post by james »

I agree with all the welding technics posted but make sure the one doing the job is using an alignment jig so the spigots are not pointing off center and be sure they are checking the head to cylinder mating surface. With all the heat needed to weld the aluminum sleeves into the head there is a chance of surface warpage. Do it once, do it right.

Jim

Return to “Motor”