Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
dwm1961
Inactive member
Bikes: 1963 duo glide,king of the road
1974 xlh

big cube pan motor ??

Post by dwm1961 »

HI all:
Has anyone any experience in building a big cube / hot rod pan motor??
How about an aftermarket motor?? Would this be a better option?? What I got is a mongrel right now; it's a 1963 duo glide with a 1978 shovel 80 cube in it. I'd like to return it to looking like a pan head motorcycle, but I like to ride hard and really want to be able to keep up!!
Anyone have thoughts on this?? I'm not worried about restoring this ride, so "all the right parts" need not be an issue!!
Like, I said, I just want the LOOK of the original style!!
And then I'd have a nice shovel to build around also!!
Thanks
BabyDave

hoosierharley@gmail.com
Attachments
Picture 048.jpg
Picture 048.jpg (357.01 KiB) Viewed 928 times
Picture 046.jpg
Picture 046.jpg (346.9 KiB) Viewed 928 times
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: big cube pan motor ??

Post by Cotten »

BabyDave!

Stock Pans "keep up" just fine, but you sound like you want more.

Stroked Pans are awesome torque machines, but there's a question or two to ask yourself.

The first is: Is your machine properly titled as a '78, with the frame stamped by your State as well?
Are you ready to have the frame stamped if it is not? An aftermarket motor would render the whole machine a "homebuilt" or "special construction", etc., in most states, if you choose to install an aftermarket motor into an otherwise unstamped frame. And they would demand to stamp it.

Most of us would avoid that ferociously.
A valuable piece of history would be compromised forever.
Many insurance companies won't even consider such a catagory of machine, even when legal.

Your machine would be an outright liability in many states if the frame has no stamp to accompany a post-'69 motor of any sort.

And I hope that you realize that there may well be a machine out there already running your 78 VIN, as titles are assigned to the frame after '70. If that one is stolen, and your machine comes under scrutiny for some reason, it can be a real expensive headache.

I know that's not a simple answer, but those are the real questions.

Otherwise, a set of T&O Torquemonster 4.5" flywheels provide more performance than many of us need!
And the same wheels would fit into your latemodel cases every bit as easily as real live '63 cases.

....Cotten
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

What I wanna know is how didja get the electric start setup, oil bag, and primaries to fit into that drop link frame?....bosheff
dwm1961
Inactive member
1974 xlh

Post by dwm1961 »

Good morning: And thanks,for your reply's. let me first answer the question about the install of this motor and tranny. I was not the one who did it,but the fellow who did is the one i got it from. He said the trick is to use the late starter,which is smaller ?? I have not yet torn into it at all ,so i'll take his word for it !! This fellow is an old hand at making things that aren't ,what they are, if ya get my meaning !! He's been riding for a lot longer then me and i been riding and wrenching for over 30 yrs. Anyway, it's in there and it all works !! Starts and runs sweet !! And he tells me that the frame is unaltered ?? So, ok, with me i guess !! And ,for the title it is with the motor numbers i have the title and the numbers are clean !! My wife works for the local Police dept. and i always have her run the numbers on any thing before i buy it !! better safe than sorry ,i say !!
So, let me ask this then cotton speaks about the bigger wheels ,will the stock case's hold up to the added stress of a hot setup?? i'm only asking because of there age ?? although i guess the folks at Truett & Osborn should be able to tell me as to the fitness of any case's i send them !! I agree with the words hear about them ,as i have used them in the past for some projects " sporty cases that had blown out where the spedo drive was" and they did top shelf work !!
Any way, if any one hear wants to look at this bike to see how it was put together, ill be in Daytona,Fl. for BikeWeek . Drop me a line and we can meet up and have a cold drink and chew the fat !!

BabyDave
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

BabyDave!

I didn't ask if your numbers were clean. We presumed they are legit.

Your machine would be an outright liability in many states if the frame has no stamp to accompany a post-'69 motor of any sort.
Barney Fife can cost you a lot of time, expense, and anquish proving its legal after it has been impounded.

Florida Bikeweek immediately comes to mind.

The stress on cases depends enormously upon the care taken in the build.
Any good post-War case can take a stroke. The added mass of the T&O wheels will dampen better than S&S, and folks have been stroking successfully with S&S for a generation.

Good luck at Daytona!

....Cotten
steinauge
Inactive member
Bikes: 1938U,1949FL,1961FL,1968XL,1979FL ,1958 FL, 1965 BMW,1975 Honda CB750

Post by steinauge »

The T&O torquemonster wheels may not fit your cases properly.The HD -60 or earlier type left flywheel wont fit an alternator left case unless you thin it by about 1\4" on the outside.If you compare an HD -70 ,70A or -78 left flywheel with an early one the early one is a bit wider.I have never used the T&O torquemonster flywheels so I dont know if they allowed for this or not.Not a major problem but an irritation if you are ready to install the flywheels when you find it out.STAY AWAY FROM DAYTONA! I live in the area and I have an old 750 Honda for a bike week ride for the reasons Cotten stated!
NightShift
Bikes: Two Schwinns, a Hercules, and a Hiawatha

Post by NightShift »

Dear Steinauge,
Another good point! Truitt and Osborn makes each set to order anyway.

Respectful,
dwm1961
Inactive member
1974 xlh

Post by dwm1961 »

Thanks everyone:
I'm just in the planning stage of this. I've not even begun to gather parts yet. I'm trying to increase my knowledge, a 'lil before I do! This will be something for the rest of this year, my "new" project, along with everything around the homestead!!
As far as Daytona, I just moved here to Indiana from the central Florida area aprox. 3yrs ago, so, I'm hip to the police down there. I got a 'lil help in that respect ,my wife works for the local police Dept. hear in town, it's not much ,but that "badge ameracard" as I call it helps when it's ticket time !! It's a 'lil weird being married to a gal who's got a badge but ,I'll take all the help I can in time like that !!
Anyway, my hell razing days are in my youth ,and now I'm just another gray beard ,so I'm not prone to shenanigans anymore like I was 20 yrs ago!!
But I will ask and thank Ya all for a 'lil prayer for me and my riding bud's ,that we stay out of Johnny laws gaze !!
Out of sight, out of mind !!

Thanks

BabyDave
dwm1961
Inactive member
1974 xlh

Post by dwm1961 »

Just to up date my thinking , i found a guy that has the proper motor /w title for my bike ,and i'm talking to him about picking it up ,he said it run's ,but i'd likley send it out to be overhauled and beefed up any way !!
i'll keep ya posted !!

Thanks

BabyDave

Return to “Motor”