FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)
Model 64D (Hey its got 3 wheels!)

Lifting motor out of frame

Post by panhead_kicker »

Does anyone have a particular method of lifting the motor up out of the frame to work bench height? I don't want to have to wrestle it by hand. I have briefly thought of attaching a lift to the motor mount between the heads. Anyone know if this is safe or do I risk the mount bending or pulling the mount stud out of a head?
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Re: Lifting motor out of frame

Post by FlatHeadSix »

kicker
I usually get one of my sons to help, we just lift the engine in or out by hand. It really is not that bad if you have an extra pair of hands on it.

I know this isn't the answer you were looking for but that's the way I've always done them.

mike
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

Nice to have a extra pair of hands . I tip the mtr out heads first and then lift it to a stool next to the bike & then two of us lift it to the engine stand. Goes back in the same way ,with the other hands on the left side of the bike to guide it into the frame.
doug_heisel
Bikes: 1952 FL, 2015 Road king

Post by doug_heisel »

I might also sugest using the thin foam packing material you get some parts in to wrap your frame before pulling the engine I just wrap it around the frame where the engine might touch and secure it with zip ties. it'll keep your frame from getting dinged and scratched. but yeah i just lift it in and out by hand but I always make sure I have some one arround to help me too. :D
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

Pull the top end off 1st. Less weight, and not nearly as akward to handle....bosheff
rrhawg
Bikes: 59 Pan, 65 Pan, 45 Wl, 46 UL, 41 Chief, 48 Chief, 50 Chief, 53 Hummer, 53 Simplex, and misc. others

Post by rrhawg »

Doug,
I have a small cable winch attached to a I beam, between two other I beams, that I can roll across my work area and I use it to move the motors in and out of frames and to set them on the work bench. It works quite well. I just hook on to a bracket to the motormounts tip the heads out and go a little at a time.
Rich
panhead_kicker
Bikes: Pan
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)

Post by panhead_kicker »

RRhawg,
If I understand you correctly, you hook to the top motor mounts on the heads and lift from there?
rrhawg
Bikes: 59 Pan, 65 Pan, 45 Wl, 46 UL, 41 Chief, 48 Chief, 50 Chief, 53 Hummer, 53 Simplex, and misc. others

Post by rrhawg »

panhead_kicker wrote:RRhawg,
If I understand you correctly, you hook to the top motor mounts on the heads and lift from there?
Yes
pusher
Bikes: 1959 FLH

Post by pusher »

I definitely would suggest taking the heads/cylinders off first. It's only a few bolts each side and definitely worth protecting the parts (smashing off fins, scraping off paint, droppin the motor, you name it).

I can see why you would want to leave the top end complete if you've got a motor in working order and just need to paint the frame/etc
Kuda
Bikes: *

Post by Kuda »

May not help you, but when I was pulling and installing the motor 7 or 8 times a day (trying to get frame mounts level and motor shimmed correctly) I ended up using a stout board (1" x 8", 24" long) attached with flat hooks to the left side of the frame. Then it was simply a matter of sliding the motor out the left side until the bottom hit edge of the board, then tilting it back until the bottom of the motor was above the board, then push (carefully) until the motor was on the board, then slide it down the "ramp" into the engine stand. Once it's on the stand, I can lift it onto the bench no problem. It's trying to get it in and out of the frame without chipping/denting/breaking fins etc. that's tricky...

-Kuda
'49 panchop
panhead_kicker
Bikes: Pan
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)

Post by panhead_kicker »

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I had a portable automotive electric winch that I hung from a beam in the garage. While it specifically states it is NOT TO BE USED AS A LIFTING DEVICE, it does work pretty well lifting a pan motor straight up and down. Finding something to hook to was the trick. A heavy aftermarket top motor mount woked fine and allowed the motor to travel very plumb. If any one is interested, a pan weighs about 117 lbs without the generator and carb.

Return to “Motor”