Need Help - Rebuilt Engine w/low compression

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Eric S
Bikes: 59 FLH 50 EL

Need Help - Rebuilt Engine w/low compression

Post by Eric S »

I recently purchased a '59 FLH with a rebuilt engine that has not been started. Other work has to be finished before it can be started with fuel. I decided to take a compression test on both cylinders, plugs out, throttle open, and it appears to only have 40 PSI on both holes. Looking through the spark plug hole the engine appears to be 60 over with flat top pistons. Is this normal for an unstarted panhead after engine rebuild? The individual who rebuilt the engine is not available to answer any questions.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Need Help - Rebuilt Engine w/low compression

Post by RUBONE »

The numbers you list are way to low. Try squirting some oil in the plug hole and see if the numbers change significantly. How long ago was the rebuild? Perhaps the rings are stuck in the pistons or the valves are not adjusted properly. You mention flat-top pistons. How flat? Panhead pistons all have a domed crown of varying height depending on the compression ratio. Never FLAT. Without being able to talk to the builder you are left in the gray-zone of multiple and questionable scenarios. If it were mine I would dig deeper to find out what was really done. Some peoples idea of a rebuild is a far cry from a correct job.
Good luck
Robbie
oldbob
Bikes: 1948 UL

Post by oldbob »

Sounds like some one put ULH pistons in it. They would lower compression also.

Robert
Eric S
Bikes: 59 FLH 50 EL

Post by Eric S »

Thanks for the replys. I shot oil in both holes and now it cranks to 85psi on both. I may be wrong about the pistons they appear to be flat-tops?? looking in the plug holes and you can clearly see the .060 overbore stamp but the could have a dome? Any help is appreciated.
steinauge
Inactive member
Bikes: 1938U,1949FL,1961FL,1968XL,1979FL ,1958 FL, 1965 BMW,1975 Honda CB750

Post by steinauge »

I would do a leak down on it and if it checks OK start the engine and see how it acts.If it has evo pistons in it or some such(I have seen this twice!!)it will run,it just wont pull a greasy string out of a cats ass.Wont harm anything.(JMO-I hate doing any unneeded work).
Ohio-Rider
Bikes: *

Post by Ohio-Rider »

A low compression test on a rebuilt, never started engine isn't anything I would worry about. After your break in period on the new engine i believe you will see a huge gain in compression. Things just need to wear in a bit. -Steve

Return to “Motor”