1965 FLH breather port

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
cavemasterdon
Inactive member

1965 FLH breather port

Post by cavemasterdon »

I just picked up a project (wife calls her the "old ho") 65FLH pan/shovel. I'm new here but you'll prob. hear a lot more . the first question- there's a threaded hole to the left of the oil pump on the back of the eng.case, is this the case breather ? I can't find a ref to this hole anywhere, the pics in the manual show it, but dosen't say what it is.

Don
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

I hope its all '65.

There was never a documented production "pan/shovel", although a very intriguing possibility shows up at Davenport occasionally.

If it has later Chubble heads, start a new savings account.

The hole to which you refer is most likely the return from the primary case, as the breather is above the pump.

....Cotten
Last edited by Cotten on Fri May 02, 2008 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

If its about 1/2 " in dia. it is the breather . I just happen to be assembling a 65 myself right now. Let me see if I have a photo, you can see the brass fitting sticking out of the case , to the left of the oil pressure gage . Is that what you are talking about ?
Attachments
LH0411.JPG
LH0411.JPG (232.47 KiB) Viewed 2096 times
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Fourthgear!

On a Factory '65, that would be a steel fitting and bent steel 3/8' tube that opens to the atmosphere below the machine.

...Cotten
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

That is probably true , but man, how would you find a replacement with the kind of thread pitch that's got on it, not to mention size ? You just don't see that kind of fitting on a shelf in Ace hardware. Its what came with the bike and I plan on running a hose ( 5/8 " ) to the back of the tranny ( chain side of course ).
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Fourthgear!

Of course its a weird thread pitch, its for a Harley!

Meanwhile, my previous post should be corrected where I inplied that the breather was "above' the pump, whereas that fitting "breathes" to the oiltank.

I tried to copy Fourthgear's j-peg to do zoomed-in specifics, but it doesn't agree with my software,... so I cannot promise any clarification until tomorrow evening when I can download my own pics.

The basics are that there are three lines into the case other than directly into the pump: From the bottom up: One for the crankcase breather that Fourthgear spoke of, one for the return from the primary beside the pump, and one for the vent to the oiltank above the pump.
('65 had two variations of the oiltank vent fitting and hose, but the location was the same.)

More when I can,...If I can remember to....

....Cotten
cavemasterdon
Inactive member

65FLH breather port

Post by cavemasterdon »

the pic looks like it closer to 3/8 , and the thread pitch is kind of odd, where can I find and where does it go to? this bike is kinda' like the johnny cash tune "one piece at a time. one day to be a true 65'. right now - 65 pan matching cases, 66 shovel jugs/heads, 65 4spd trans, 73 superglide frame. 65 misc parts and it runs on the street(most of the time).the threaded outlet is out of the case and is not part of the oil return according to the pics that I can find

Don
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

There is a primary breather next to the pump as Cotten pointed out and is is a 3/8 (pipe thread ? ), mine is closed off because I'm running a closed ,oil filled primary.The photo below shows both breathers , you can't miss the motor breather , its a least 1/2 " in dia..
Attachments
LH0419.JPG
LH0419.JPG (130.45 KiB) Viewed 2052 times
cavemasterdon
Inactive member

65FLH breather

Post by cavemasterdon »

the pic is exactly what I have. went to the hardware store & bought a 1/4npt(too small) and a 3/8npt,(too big). guy at hardware never heard of 5/16npt. possible? tech at the local hd shop insists it's a 1/8npt???any thoughts/ideas?
don
just to try it, i put a 5/8x11 bolt in the hole.....it fits
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Post by steve_wood »

Plumbing threads. Gotta love them. There are at least three types of threads: Compression, flare and NPT.

It sounds like you need an adapter to go from 5/8 (male) compression or flare to 1/8 or 1/4 NPT.

Try the plumbing section of Lowes or Home Depot. They usually have all kinds of adapters like that.

steve
cavemasterdon
Inactive member

65FLH breather

Post by cavemasterdon »

just got back from lowes and home depot, both said try plumbing store
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

Try ACE Hardware . Sorry bro ,but I'm not pulling mine to see what it is , its too hard to get now and its sealed good .That passage goes right to the breather in the gear case. It may be a machine thread and not a npt( pipe thread ) it could be a 1/8 npt , they are small and have finer threads . If you look at the photo above , that's a 3/8 npt hose nipple in the fore ground for the oil pump. Who knows they might have done any thing to my 65 just to seal it. If you can't find it , let me know , I'll pull mine to see what is in there .( last resort )
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Attached is a photo of some of the various nipples used near the '65 pump.

At the bottom is the nut that secures the crankcase breather tube, which ordinarily is a 3/8" steel tube bent 90 degrees in the middle, and flat-flared or "upset" to prevent it from falling out of the nut. (The tube is missing from this one because it was salvaged from a dead sportster.)

The nut is straight 5/8-11, and not a conventional pipe fitting. It compresses the flat-flare against the bottom of the bore for a minimal seal, and to prevent it from flopping around.

The long nipple is for the chaincase return line. It is extended to allow a wrench to fit upon it with the oilpump installed.

Above it are two variations of a 3/8" hose nipple. It appears that the 9/16" hex is proper. Not shown is the 5/16" hose version used for the oiltank vent.

To the right is the rear chain oiler body on the return side of the pump. On top should be a metering screw within the locknut. The underside is tapped to accept a compression nut much the same as a brake line.

'65 had many changes during the production year, so there may well be other variations.

....Cotten
Attachments
65OILFIT.jpg
65OILFIT.jpg (58.9 KiB) Viewed 1955 times
cavemasterdon
Inactive member

65FLH breather

Post by cavemasterdon »

cotten I do believe the fitting on the lower left is the one. now the task of finding one begins. thanks
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Post by steve_wood »

Aha !

A picture tells a thousand words. I recognized that part because I have one just like it on my XLCH. The part number for the nut by itself is 24918-52 and it is available as OEM and repop at nosparts.com. The whole sportster nut and tube assembly is also available as 24912-52B as a chrome repop. The tube is obviously wrong for a hydra-glide, but it would give you the raw material and all you would have to do is get a tube bender and shape it to your liking.

Hey, perhaps they even have the assembly for the 65 FLH, but I don't know the part number.

Good luck !

steve

Return to “Motor”